Re: [News] Video Proof: Linux Boots Far More Quickly Than Windows XP

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:36:20 +0000
<2675866.804jo6TeZu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Ubuntu vs. That Other OS
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Both machines have the same exact specs, both have been used for the same
> | time (to be fair I have tweaked the OS on the left quite a bit to optimize
> | it). Ubuntu is already idle by the time the video ends; while the other PC
> | takes 30 seconds more than what I?ve uploaded to idle the hard drive.
> `----
>
> http://blog.estebanglas.com.ar/2007/11/ubuntu-vs-that-other-os/

I dunno about the conclusion -- Gentoo and Fedora and many
others probably would have similar results, and it depends
on how many daemons and how much RAM each system has --
but it's clear Microsoft Windows XP doesn't put its best
foot forward here (unless it's to put its foot in it).

Kudos to the author for minimizing the wait time for selecting
the OS (XP bootloader versus...it's probably LILO but it
goes by so fast it's difficult to say) and login, though
one can only type in one's password so fast.

> Yesterday:
>
> Quick booting SBC runs Debian Linux
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Technologic Systems has announced a single-board computer (SBC) claimed to
> | boot Linux 2.6 in under two seconds.
> `----

If one carefully observes a Linux machine booting, most of the time is
spent doing things like verifying the filesystem and starting daemons.

I'll admit I wonder how much one can slice into POST on a PC, though.

[rest snipped]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of
elderberries!" - Monty Python and the Holy Grail