[News] Moving from Windows to Linux Saves Money (Long- and short-term)

  • Subject: [News] Moving from Windows to Linux Saves Money (Long- and short-term)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 02:57:19 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
In the black: Why Linux makes financial sense

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week I touched on some Microsoft backflipping over Total Cost of
| Ownership (TCO) when it comes to Linux. It had been claimed that although
| Linux was a free operating system, Windows had a lower overall cost with all
| factors considered due to its greater ease of administration. Yet, this is no
| longer the case, with Microsoft’s server line now using a Bash-inspired
| command line system called PowerShell.
|
| Not only is PowerShell somewhat cryptic, it’s brand new to all the legions of
| Windows admins who fumbled their way through installation wizards by
| clicking ‘Next’ each step of the way.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15555/1141/

Related:

I ordered my Dell with Ubuntu and saved $140.00 compared to Vista.

,----[ Quote ]
| I paid $409.00 plus tax and shipping for the E520N with pre-installed
| Ubuntu 7.04.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/5/24/20488

Duly Noted by the Biztech Blog

,----[ Quote ]
| H-P reportedly will start selling PCs running the Linux operating system, at
| least in Australia. The new computers will be cheaper than ones running
| Microsoft’s Windows operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| Now, a Red Hat spokesman is telling the Australian media that H-P has
| selected his company’s brand of Linux and that Red Hat will sell customer
| support to H-P customers who buy the new computers.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2007/08/31/duly-noted-by-the-biztech-blog-2/?mod=yahoo_hs

Windows vs Ubuntu - why switch?

,----[ Quote ]