Re: [News] Book to Be Written About ODF (and Microsoft's Frauds)

amicus_curious <ACDC@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Maintaining, promoting, and defending standards is dry work and not very
> fulfilling, similarly to writing kernel code for operating systems.  I
> wonder how long this ODF effort can continue without any way for its
> developers to be compensated for their long boring hours.

Ouch... I personally don't consider writing kernel code to be 'dry work
and not very fulfilling', but perhaps that says something about how
much of geek I really am.  :-/

On the other hand, after a few days on the job at my latest kernel
hacking consulting gig, one of my teammates actually asked me, "Why
do Linux experts all look like rock starts?"  OK, I have a beard
and a pony tail... but rock star!?  I would have blown coffee out
my nose had I been drinking any at the time.

Yeah baby... rock star.  Sex, drugs, and source code.  Heck, I
can't even get a compile done with all these groupies crowding into
my cube.

I'm laughing again just thinking about it.

Thad