[News] Google's Linux Phones Are Viable iPhone Challangers

  • Subject: [News] Google's Linux Phones Are Viable iPhone Challangers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2007 05:32:26 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Android, With More Optimism

,----[ Quote ]
| Meanwhile, Apple has the reverse situation with the iPhone. The software
| integration is almost exactly perfect for the hardware -- but it only runs on
| one piece of hardware -- the iPhone itself. Whether or not this is a bad
| thing depends on if you are a user (it's very good) or a market analyst (OMG
| sell all your AAPL!).
|
| Another important statement I made in the comments on the last entry is that
| I firmly believe that Apple needs a competitor. They need someone nipping at
| the iPhone, even distantly, to keep from becoming complacent. Competition is
| good for everyone, and right now Apple is in a league of their own.
|
| And that's why, despite all my grumping and flailing about of hands, I wish
| Google the best of luck with Android, and I'm looking forward to seeing it
| run on some actual hardware, and what happens after that. Even if all you do
| is bury Palm and Windows Mobile with a quantum leap in quality, you'll have
| done the world a great service.
`----

http://stevenf.com/2007/11/android_with_more_optimism.php

Mind the fact that Microsoft has had absolutely no response to advanced phones
like Android-based phones and iPhone. It still has a ~5% market share after
many years in the business.

Related:

What Android means for Apple, MS, open source, enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| The GPhone never happened, but Android is a much more significant development
|
| [...]
|
| A better approach, argues Dan Kohn, COO of the Linux Foundation, is to pick
| one set of standards that IT will support for calendaring, email
| applications, VPN and so on, and tell users they can use any mobile phone
| compatible with those standards.
|
| [...]
|
| What Android means for open source and Linux
| Linux already has a major presence on mobile phones, but the entrance of
| Google and the Open Handset Alliance — which has 34 member organisations
| worldwide — adds to the momentum.
|
| "We're a huge believer in diversity of options on mobile phones," Kohn of the
| Linux Foundation says. "Linux is already an important, growing presence
| there. I think having the Google software as an additional open source option
| is only going to accelerate that adoption."
`----

http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/netw/D22188C825F8528FCC257394007BE16D

In praise of Google

,----[ Quote ]
| Google has its problems. I wish it would contribute more source-code
| modifications that it makes to Linux, MySQL, Apache, and others open-source
| projects, for one. But overall, the world is better for Google's sheer power
| of search and minimalist design.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9819638-16.html?tag=head

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Funambol CEO Fabrizio Capobianco: Linux Is Mobile's Future

,----[ Quote ]
| LinuxInsider met with Capobianco to discuss his view on the role of open
| source in creating Mobile 2.0 as a voice and data carrier parallel to the
| Internet. The meeting occurred in the wake of Google's announcement earlier
| this month that it was negotiating with wireless carriers, handset makers,
| software developers and hardware providers to use an open source mobile
| platform, Android.
`----

http://www.technewsworld.com/story/60340.html

After the Desktop -- What?