[News] The 'Desktop' Becomes Decreasingly Relevant (to Linux/Windows/Mac OS)

  • Subject: [News] The 'Desktop' Becomes Decreasingly Relevant (to Linux/Windows/Mac OS)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 08:53:34 +0000
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Smartphones Becoming More Popular

,----[ Quote ]
| "The nearly three-fold increase in smartphones shows that this once
| negligible niche is becoming a more influential force in the consumer
| market -- attracting entrants such as Apple and the Open Handset Alliance."
`----

http://www.newsfactor.com/story.xhtml?story_id=11300B415VSM

Open Handset Alliance, Symbian, and maybe even Apple. Microsoft is far behind
with about 5% in terms of market share, which is pathetic after so many years
of huge investments.

Related:

PCs step aside… smarter mobiles are coming

,----[ Quote ]
| Citing the examples of the company’s single core solutions for smart phones,
| consumer electronics and automotive entertainment and ARM Mali graphics
| processors, and its collaboration for Linux mobile computing, Mr Keith said
| mobile phone makers are taking to a platform approach which offers
| flexibility to add new features.
`----

http://www.thehindubusinessline.com/2007/11/05/stories/2007110550450200.htm

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

PCs being pushed aside in Japan

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071104/ap_on_hi_te/bye_bye_pcs

Linux Sees 'Astronomic' Growth in Mobile Devices

,----[ Quote ]
| "We were very aware that the growth in mobile for Linux was huge, but we
| didn't know it was so astronomic," Amanda McPherson, marketing director for
| the Linux Foundation, told LinuxInsider. "These are very encouraging
| numbers." Why Linux has drawn significant support from the community of
| handset manufacturers can be explained on several fronts, McPherson said.

Microsoft Hides Its Mobile and Business Apps Divisions

,----[ Quote ]
| The company is folding its two worst-performing divisions -- Microsoft
| Business Solutions (its business applications unit) and its Mobile and
| Embedded units -- into the Microsoft Business Division and Microsoft Home
| and Entertainment units, respectively.
`----

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/article2/0,1995,1990243,00.asp?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

Microsoft's vision for universal mobile platform a little blurred

,----[ Quote ]

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15017/1023/

,----[ Quote ]
`----