Re: Linux and Borked Printer

Roy Schestowitz wrote:
High Plains Thumper on Saturday:
Ian Hilliard wrote:
Gordon Glover wrote:
"High Plains Thumper" wrote...

I found this post on microsoft.public.windows.vista.general, another
complaint about Vista.  COLA trolls must be in denial.

COLA trolls must be in denial. I like how setting up a printer is as
easy as typing this in the command line:

-- "# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E"

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=161255&highlight=printer

[quote]
Hi everyone! I'm new in the world of linux and ubuntu. I've got a
problem with configuring my laser printer canon LBP2900. I've already
found the drivers at the canon web-site (they say they tested them on
a RedHat and on SuSE). When I try to register the printer (PPD) with
the spooler by means of the command:

# /usr/sbin/lpadmin -p [printer name] -m [PPD file name] -v
ccp:/var/ccpd/fifo0 -E

I receive the answer:

lpadmin: add-printer (set device) failed: client-error-not-possible

Is there someone who can give me some help? Cosimo
[-quote]

Funny, my printer was recognised when I plugged it in. I just had to
click on the printer icon to set it up.

If you want to start bashing Linux, printing is not the place to do it.
In fact, these days it is hard to find a place to do it.

He is 10 years out of date.  Yes, now they are autodetected.  However, if
one does it manually, it is:

+----------------------+----------+
| Applications  Places | *System* |
+----------------------|-------------------+
                       |  Preferences     >|-------------------------+
                       | *Administration* >|  GNOME Partition Editor |
                                            |  Keyring Manager        |
                                           |  Language Support       |
                                           |  Lockdown Editor        |
                                           |  Login Window           |
                                           |  Network                |
                                           |  Network Tools          |
                                           | *Printing*              |

Following window opens:

|                   *Printers*           [-] [O] [X] |
|----------------------------------------------------|
| Printer  Edit  Global Settings                     |
|----------------------------------------------------|
|   .-----.            .               .             |
|   |     |          / |             / |             |
| .---------.       /  /---,        /  /---,         |
| | xxxxxxx |       | /   / |       | /   / |        |
| +---------+       |/---/ .'       |/---/ .'        |
|*New Printer*      |____|/         |____|/          |
|               Deskjet-610CL   postscript-color     |
|                  Ready             Ready           |
|                                                    |

After clicking on "New Printer" opens:

|                           Add a Printer                     [-] [O] [X] |
| *Step 1 of 3: Printer Connection*                                       |
| This assistant helps you set up a printer.                              |
|   Printer Type: [*] Local or Detected Printer                           |
|                 [ ] Network Printer                                     |
| Use a detected printer:                                                 |
| *DESKJET 610C (HP DESKJET 610 C LPT parport0 HPLIP)*                    |
|  Lexmark 7100 Series (Lexmark 7100 Series USB #1)                       |
|  PDF Printer (Virtual Printer)                                          |
| Use another printer by specifying a port:                            ^  |
| Printer Port: [HP DESKJET 610C LPT parport0 HPLIP (HP DESKJET 610C)] v  |
|                                              [X Cancel]  [--> Forward]  |

Hmmm .... nothing user unfriendly or command lines about this ....

Perhaps if he *USED* Linux, he would know ....
It's equally easy in KDE (Control Center). done this a month ago.

No discs/floppies/downloads necessary. Linux has become boringly simple.

It has. There is less and less the Wintrolls can refute. The door is opening wider. I hope the EU continues to carry out its just measures to ensure fair and reasonable competition in the market place and to remove the anticompetitive barriers put up by Microsoft in the PC OS and applications market.

There seems to be no end to the incumbent's "Get the FUD" campaigns and continued anti-competitive practises. The only way to remove barriers is through official government actions.

--
HPT