[News] [Rival] Apple Wants a ZFS Future, But Trouble Possibly Lies Ahead

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Apple Wants a ZFS Future, But Trouble Possibly Lies Ahead
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 05:26:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ZFS to play larger role in future versions of Mac OS X

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun Microsystems' relatively new ZFS filesystem will see rudimentary support
| under the soon-to-be released Mac OS X Leopard, but will eventually play a
| much larger role in future versions of the Apple operating system,
| AppleInsider has been told.
`----

http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/07/10/04/zfs_to_play_larger_role_in_future_versions_of_mac_os_x.html

Apple's support for ZFS may drag it into open-source lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple Inc.'s upcoming Leopard will support the open-source ZFS file system,
| the company confirmed today -- a move that could embroil it in a
| patent-infringement lawsuit between Sun Microsystems and storage software
| maker Net Appliance.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9041178&intsrc=news_ts_head

Related:

Interview: Chris Mason about Btrfs

,----[ Quote ]
| Q: Several people might be interested what you think about ZFS, why you see a
| need for Btrfs “despite of ZFS” (some people think ZFS is the solution for
| everything for them).
|
|     Well, the short answer is that for Linux, there is no ZFS. I know about
|     the FUSE port, but that isn’t a long term solution in terms of
|     performance or enterprise workloads. ZFS has an impressive list of
|     features (and clearly many happy users), but the real competition for
|     Btrfs is other Linux filesystems.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/08/07/interview-chris-mason-about-btrfs/

ZFS, XFS, EXT4 Filesystems Compared

,----[ Quote ]
| EXT4 is fast for metadata operations, tar, untar, cpio, and postmark. EXT4 is
| much faster than the others under FFSB. EXT4 with hardware RAID and external
| journal device is ludicrously fast. EXT4 seems to have a bad interaction with
| software RAID, probably because mkfs fails to query the RAID layout when
| setting the filesystem parameters.
|
| ZFS has excellent performance on metadata tests. ZFS has very bad sequential
| transfer with hardware RAID and appalling sequential transfer with software
| RAID. ZFS can copy the linux kernel source code in only 3 seconds! ZFS has
| equal latency for read and write requests under mixed loads, which is good.
|
| XFS has good sequential transfer under Bonnie++. Oddly XFS has better
| sequential reads when using an external journal, which makes little sense. Is
| noatime broken on XFS? XFS is very slow on all the metadata tests. XFS takes
| the RAID layout into consideration and it performs well on randomio with
| hardware or software RAID.
`----

http://tastic.brillig.org/%7Ejwb/zfs-xfs-ext4.html

OpenSolaris ZFS vs. Linux ext3 RAID5

,----[ Quote ]
| Few overarching conclusions can be drawn from the limited results of this
| study. Certainly, there are situations in which the Solaris/RAID-Z1
| configuration appears to outperform the Ubuntu/RAID-5 configuration. Many
| questions remain regarding the large discrepancy in CPU usage for small-file
| operations. Likewise, the Ubuntu/RAID-5 configuration appears to perform
| slightly better in certain situations, though not overwhelmingly so. At best,
| under these default configurations, one can say that overall the Solaris
| configuration performs no worse, and indicates that it might perform better
| under live operating conditions. The latter, though, is largely speculation.
`----

http://www.prestonlee.com/archives/121

Cluster File Systems & Sun to integrate Lustre with OpenSolaris ZFS file
systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Today Cluster File Systems™, Inc. (CFS), announced that the open source
| Lustre network file system will start using Sun's open source OpenSolaris ZFS
| disk file system on Lustre servers running Linux operating systems.
|
| Lustre is a leading HPC file system, running on more than 50 percent of the
| 30 biggest computers in the world.
`----

http://clusterfs-intra.com/cfscom/news/latest/cluster-file-systems--sun-to-integrate-lustre-with-opensolaris-zfs-file-systems.html

ZFS on Linux: It's alive

,----[ Quote ]
| The project is working, with several users running and even booting from a
| ZFS volume. Correia has not undertaken any performance tuning yet, and
| one sysadmin, Chris Samuel, has posted benchmarks that clock only about
| half the speed of another Linux filesystem, XFS.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/061807-zfs-on-linux.html#6285522977769458795

ZFS Filesystem for FUSE/Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| ZFS is an advanced modern general-purpose filesystem from Sun
| Microsystems, originally designed for Solaris/OpenSolaris.
|
| This project is a port of ZFS to the FUSE framework for the
| Linux operating system.
|
| It was sponsored by Google, as part of the Google Summer of
| Code 2006 program.
`----

http://www.wizy.org/wiki/ZFS_on_FUSE

ZFS: what "the ultimate file system" really means for your desktop -- in plain
English!

,----[ Quote ]
| It has quite an extensive feature set just like its peers, but builds on
| this by adding a new layer of simplicity. According to the official site,
| ZFS key features are...
`----

http://apcmag.com/6468/zfs_the_ultimate_filesystem

Linux: Btrfs, File Data and Metadata Checksums

,----[ Quote ]
| Chris Mason announced an early alpha release of his new Btrfs
| filesystem, "after the last FS summit, I started working on a new
| filesystem that maintains checksums of all file data and metadata." He
| listed the following features as "mostly implemented": "extent based file
| storage (2^64 max file size), space efficient packing of small files,
| space efficient indexed directories, dynamic inode allocation, writable
| snapshots, subvolumes (separate internal filesystem roots), checksums on
| data and metadata (multiple algorithms available), very fast offline
| filesystem check".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8376

Rampant layering syndrome

,----[ Quote ]
| It's another post from a ZFS developer's blog. This time, it's Jeff
| Bonwick responding to Andrew Morton's claim that ZFS is a "rampant
| layering violation" because it cuts across the traditionally
| separate worlds of the filesystem, volume manager, and RAID controller.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/staff/fatbits.ars/2007/05/04/rampant-layering-syndrome

Linux: ZFS, Licenses and Patents

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent discussion on the lkml examined the possibility of a
| Linux implementation of Sun's ZFS. It was pointed out that the
| file system is released under the GPL-incompatible CDDL, and
| that Sun has filed numerous patents to prevent ZFS from being
| reverse engineered.
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/node/8066

Sun's Schwartz: High-Performance Computing Will Be Pervasive

,----[ Quote ]
| Schwartz said that Sun will continue to ramp up development efforts in its
| storage sector, centering on the Thumper X4500 server—a 48-drive unit with a
| capacity of 24TB per box.
|
| "Thumper utilizes the ZFS," Schwartz said, "and we'll be taking the message
| out to the open-source community more and more as time goes on. In fact,
| we've seen the open-source community grow and accelerate its activity. That's
| where the future of development lies."

NetApp/Sun lawsuit seen as open-source test case

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9034562