[News] Sony Clears An Potential Antitrust Hurdle, Microsoft Might Face Another One

  • Subject: [News] Sony Clears An Potential Antitrust Hurdle, Microsoft Might Face Another One
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 05:29:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
EU says approves Sony BMG music venture

,----[ Quote ]
| Japanese electronics giant Sony and Germany's Bertelsmann won competition
| clearance from the European Commission on Wednesday for their recorded music
| joint venture.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9588_22-6211415.html

Office May Be Microsoft's Next Antitrust Battlefield

,----[ Quote ]
| My take from the cheap seats: Keep an eye on the Windows fight if you like,
| but the Office game is where you'll be seeing the most action. Players are
| already trash-talking about office document formats.

| Pieter Hintjens, president of the Foundation for a Free Information
| Infrastructure, a non-profit organisation that is campaigning against the
| Microsoft proposal, said: "We've recorded fairly systematic manipulation of
| the voting process. We've seen what amounts to vote-buying in Italy,
| Portugal, Colombia, Spain. In Sweden and Denmark, much the same happened –
| Microsoft paying their business partners to join the vote."
`----

http://news.moneycentral.msn.com/provider/providerarticle.aspx?feed=FT&Date=20070830&ID=7401878

Corrupt countries were more likely to support the OOXML document format

,----[ Quote ]
| Is this just a random coincidence? The median of the CPI index of the above
| mentioned 70 countries is 3.95. Of the most corrupted half (CPI index less
| than 3.95) 23 or 77% voted for approval (approval or approval with comments)
| and 7 or 23% for disapproval; 5 abstained. Of the least corrupted half (CPI
| index more than 3.95) 13 or 54% voted for approval and 11 or 46% voted for
| disapproval; 11 abstained - see the table below.
`----

http://www.effi.org/blog/kai-2007-09-05.en.html

Microsoft accused of more OOXML standards fiddling

,----[ Quote ]
| However the 11 new countries are refusing to say how they will vote. These
| include Cote d'Ivoire, Cyprus, Ecuador, Jamaica, Lebanon, Malta, Pakistan,
| Trinidad and Tobago, Turkey, Uruguay and Venezuela. Most people seem to think
| that these have been put there by Vole to make sure the standard gets pushed
| through.

Microsoft’s secretive standards orgs in Former Yugoslavia

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/092407-ooxml.html?page=1