Re: [News] [Rival] Windows Vista Sales Down Significantly (-59.7%), O/S Still Loathed

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, chrisv
<chrisv@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:45:29 -0500
<t645g35q9ifblcqt7ci72j30p2a1o7p9ug@xxxxxxx>:
> The Ghost In The Machine wrote:
>
>>Subject corrected.  See
>>
>>http://www.news.com/Running-the-numbers-on-Vista/2100-1016_3-6207375.html
>>
>>:-)
>
> Interesting quote from the above article:
>
> "Ahead of Vista's release, the software maker said that it expected
> businesses to adopt the new operating system at twice the rate of XP
> during its first year on the market. "

Wow.  Someone's seriously confused or deluded, then,
in Microsoft's Marketing Department.  (!!)

> Could that be anything but a bold LIE on Micro$oft's part?  I mean,
> HOW could they expect that, when they knew damn well that Vista was a
> "bigger change" from XP than what XP was from 2k.

There are presumably multiple issues involved.  Personally,
I'm not sure it was a lie as such -- mostly because it was
an expectation/opinion/apprehension.  Were Microsoft in
possession of, say, polling/beta data that suggested that
the uptake was or would be far below their statements,
then it might be a lie (it can't be perjury unless
admitted to in open court but it might be market
manipulation in that case); otherwise it's merely a
mistaken opinion/apprehension.

Take your pick: delusion, incompetence, denial, or malevolence. :-)
Microsoft loses no matter which.

> Drivers changed, hardware stopped working, software stopped working,
> significantly more computing power and memory are required.
>
> There's *no way* that they could have honestly believed what they told
> the market.  Isn't that illegal?

Dunno where that would fall under, admittedly.

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C/C++ Programming Idea #10239993:
char * f(char *p) {char *q = malloc(strlen(p)); strcpy(q,p); return q; }