[News] Windows Installers of GNU/Linux to Boost Linux Adoption

  • Subject: [News] Windows Installers of GNU/Linux to Boost Linux Adoption
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 13:45:42 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Winux Initiative – Bringing Linux to the Windows Masses

,----[ Quote ]
| The two most promising Winux projects I've seen so far are the Wubi (Ubuntu)
| and Debian Winux installers.  If they were to get together and create a
| master project that gave fair and equal representation to all distributions,
| I'd stand behind and support them 100%.  I think this is a great move forward
| towards making Linux adoption a lot easier and a lot more hassle free.
|
| [...]
|
| The Winux projects out there are definitely a step on the right direction and
| I think they'd go very far towards moving Linux into the main stream as
| they'd make it much easier for people to try Linux full time.  But until they
| become unified, and start striving to help the Linux community as a whole,
| rather than serving just one particular distribution or group, the advantages
| of the Winux system will never truly be recognized and the Winux system will
| fall by the wayside, forgotten and abandoned, and Linux will be the worse for
| it.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=310

Related:

Lubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Introduction
|
| Lubi, the Linux-based Ubuntu Installer, is a graphical user interface and
| backend that allows installation of Ubuntu Linux-based distros on a
| loopmounted filesystem (no partitioning required) on modern GNU/Linux
| distributions, without an installation CD. Lubi functions similarly to Wubi,
| however, Lubi uses GNU/Linux as the host system instead of Windows.
`----

http://lubi.sourceforge.net/lubi.html

[Installing Linux from Windows] Wubi Review

,----[ Quote ]
| In conclusion, this tool is certainly one of the easiest ways of letting
| people try Ubuntu without removing Windows or having to partition their hard
| drive for a dual-boot.  I have enjoyed this tool, and although it is still in
| beta, it works very well and is very stable.  So, if you are running a
| computer with Windows and want to give Ubuntu a try, then this is the
| solution for you.
`----

http://jon-reagan.blogspot.com/2007/07/wubi-review.html

Wubi [Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| Now you can and you don't even have to worry about destroying your Windows
| installation and the best part of it is that you don?t even have to set up
| a separate partition for it.
|
| [...]
|
| Like I said earlier, if you've been wanting to try out Linux,
| here is your extremely easy option for getting Linux up and
| running very quickly.
`----

http://digitaldiscobash.com/2007/05/16/wubi/

Take Ubuntu for a non-invasive test drive with Wubi

,----[ Quote ]
| Windows only: Wubi is a Windows-based Ubuntu Linux installer that
| lets you run the OS on your Windows XP box--no partitions,
| bootloaders or Live CDs required.
`----

http://lifehacker.com/software/featured-windows-download/take-ubuntu-for-a-non+invasive-test-drive-with-wubi-258936.php
http://tinyurl.com/294xxd

Linux is Easier to Install than Windows!

,----[ Quote ]
| A brief, but honest description of why Linux is better than Windows!
`----

http://www.utopiatheory.com/index.php?id=11

Linux is not only better than windows, it is also easier to install and
maintain

,----[ Quote ]
| This post inspired me to write this comparison, side by side, specially
| where it says, that windows users says that "Linux is hard to install", so I
| wanted to test it.
`----

http://www.go2linux.org/why-linux-is-easier-than-windows

Debian win32-loader Goes Official

,----[ Quote ]
| After a long process of review and polishing, the win32 loader from
| goodbye-microsoft.com has finally made its way to official Debian CDs.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/09/13/1427241.shtml

Installing with the Debian-Installer