Re: [News] [Rights] Comcast takes traffic-shaping to a new low level

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 20 October 2007 12:32 : \____

> Comcast blocks some Internet traffic
>
> .----
> |    Comcast Corp. actively interferes with attempts by some of its
> | high-speed Internet subscribers to share files online, a move that
> | runs counter to the tradition of treating all types of Net traffic
> | equally.The interference, which The Associated Press confirmed
> | through nationwide tests, is the most drastic example yet of data
> | discrimination.
> `----
>
> http://digg.com/tech_news/Comcast_blocks_some_Internet_traffic
>
> What next? Will they block people from downloading GNU/Linux distros?

Someone [c|sh]ould file class action before this deteriorates further.

Is Comcast's BitTorrent filtering violating the law?

,----[ Quote ]
| Assuming that the SYN packet goes through, the three-way handshake is allowed
| to happen, then the two hosts will be able to begin communicating. Your ISP
| can still kill the connection later, should they wish to, merely by blocking
| the transmission of future packets.
|
| According to Torrent Freak, Comcast is not doing this. They are instead
| sending a reset (or RST) packet to the Comcast customer, pretending to be
| from the host at the end of the BitTorrent connection.
`----

http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9769645-46.html

Related:

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
`----

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/comcast_ban.html?imw=Y

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Useful fact: close elevator button = Express Mode
         run-level 2  2007-10-16 15:14                   last=