[News] Windows Zombies a Disaster Waiting to Happen, Skype Victimised Again

  • Subject: [News] Windows Zombies a Disaster Waiting to Happen, Skype Victimised Again
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2007 12:16:43 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Will cyberintrusions crash U.S. electrical grid?

,----[ Quote ]
| Some critics of the U.S. government's cybersecurity efforts might argue that
| nothing short of a bomb going off--or, well, purported Chinese cyberattacks
| on feds' machines--will land the issue more notice.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9799403-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Skype Trojan steals login credentials

,----[ Quote ]
| The malware, which calls itself ‘Skype Defender’, poses as a security
| plug-in.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/17/skype_trojan/

Related:

Beware of Zombies

,----[ Quote ]
| The Microsoft Petri Dish
|
| Strassmann said one reason that zombies and other cybernasties succeed so
| well is that they can easily hide in the hundreds of millions of lines of
| code that make up Microsoft operating systems and applications.
| Microsoft-based systems are a "Petri dish" for zombies, he said, adding that
| global reliance on MS systems exacerbates the problem.
`----

http://www.govexec.com/story_page.cfm?filepath=/dailyfed/0907/091707wb.htm

Vista a 'threat' to the national security of India

,----[ Quote ]
| As Mr Bombay Watcher says on his blog, Microsoft has a cosy partnership
| with the CIA, so perhaps the world should take care and caution when it
| comes time to upgrade. We're pretty certain Windows 3.1 would be a safe
| bet. He seems particularly worried about the national security of India,
| as it does, of course, have some conflicting interests with the US
| of A.

Russian expert: Terrorists may try cyberattacks

,----[ Quote ]
| A Russian computer security expert predicts that terrorists could
| seek to target the country's critical infrastructure through
| electronic warfare, a strategy that could raise the stakes in
| how Russia handles computer crime.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=2104593093&rid=-50

Homeland Security sees cyberthreats on the rise

,----[ Quote ]
| To test the nation's response to a cyberattack, the Department
| of Homeland Security plans to hold another major exercise,
| called Cyberstorm II, in March 2008, Garcia said. A first
| such exercise happened early last year.
`----

http://news.com.com/2100-7355_3-6157809.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/2dpbmv

Zombie botnets attack global DNS servers

,----[ Quote ]
| Hackers launched a sustained attack last night against key root servers
| which form the backbone of the internet.
|
| Security firm Sophos said that botnets of zombie PCs bombarded the
| internet's domain name system (DNS) servers with traffic.
|
| "These zombie computers could have brought the web to its knees,"
| said Graham Cluley, senior technology consultant at Sophos.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2174383/zombie-botnets-attack-global

Study: Billions of dollars spent on security

,----[ Quote ]
| Large U.S. businesses will spend $61 billion on security by the end
| of this year, representing 7.3 percent of total IT budgets in the
| country, according to a new report from Info-Tech Research Group.
`----

http://news.com.com/2110-7350_3-6135989.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

US lost $8 billion to computer crime

,----[ Quote ]
| Consumer reports' latest "State of the Net" survey has revealed that
| US punters lost more than $8 billion over the last two years to
| viruses, spyware and con tricks.