[News] Red Hat rejects Ballmer's FUD

  • Subject: [News] Red Hat rejects Ballmer's FUD
  • From: "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 22:30:59 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Ballmer is all mouth and no trousers:

.----
| In a scathing response to Ballmer's remarks, Red Hat's IP team said
| the reality is that the community development approach of free and
| open-source code represents a healthy development paradigm, which,
| when viewed from the perspective of pending lawsuits related to
| intellectual property, is at least as safe as proprietary software.
|
| "We are also aware of no patent lawsuit against Linux. Ever.
| Anywhere," the team said in a blog posting.
|
| The Linux vendor, which is based in Raleigh, N.C., also gives
| customers open-source intellectual property protections through its
| Open Source Assurance Program, which includes a promise to replace
| the software if there is an intellectual property issue.
|
| "This provides customers with assurances of uninterrupted use of
| the technology solution. Protecting our customers is a top
| priority, and we take it very seriously. Our confidence in our
| technology and protections for customers remains strong and has not
| wavered," the blog posting said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0%2c1759%2c2193713%2c00.asp

Eventually someone will have to litigate against the libellous Ballmer
to shut his filthy mouth, which is of course exactly what he wants,
because Microsoft can then use their dirty money and corrupt influence
to bleed the litigator dry in court. When you have as much money as
Microsoft, you don't need to worry about trivialities like the law,
indeed you can abuse it to your own advantage. At that level, it isn't
about right and wrong, it's about who wields the most power.

Ultimately, those who wield the most power are the customers. It is the
/people/ who can determine Microsoft's fate. If enough people vote with
their wallets, then Microsoft's base of power will crumble. When your
entire business is based on the brutal exploitation of people for money,
that business will eventually disappear if those people turn on you.
Given the severe backlash there has been against Microsoft WRT their
recent failures (Vista, Zune, Xbox, Live, etc.), and their brutish
attitude towards their own customers (you are all criminals who must
prove your innocence) that day may arrive sooner rather than later.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 22:29:30 up 63 days, 21:24,  5 users,  load average: 0.05, 0.16, 0.24