Re: Mother's ire puts Ballmer on defence over Vista

Verily I say unto thee, that nessuno@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx spake thusly:

> http://computerworld.co.nz/news.nsf/news/0A1014175338BB9ACC257371000CCF44

Ballmer: "Users appreciate the value that we put into Vista"

He keeps using that meaningless mantra "we put value into...", "people
like the value of...". What does that mean, exactly? AFAICT it's
marketing bullshit. There's no "value" in Vista or any other operating
system, or any other software product for that matter. The value is in
what people /do/ with the tools they're given, and either the tools
/work/ or they /don't/. Recent history has shown us that Windows
invariably does /not/ work, without an inordinate amount of effort to
keep it maintained and Malware free, and even /then/ you are battling
the vendor for control of your own system (DRM, WGA, stealth updates).
Software and drivers are incompatible with Vista. Hardware costs are
disproportionately high in relation to the functionality of Vista (a lot
of hardware for very little results). Vista is specifically designed to
inhibit the users whilst empowering Microsoft (and others like the
MPAA). It's all show and no substance, other than one big fat regression
into limited functionality, and an unintuitive and bloated UI design.

Where is the "value" in *that*?

In Ballmer's sweaty pocket, presumably.

So a 13 year old girl says she "needs" desktop gadgets, and Ballmer
thinks that justifies saying that Vista has "value". Well so does Mac OS
X (in fact it had them first), and so does GNU/Linux. So what imaginary
technical edge does Ballmer believe Vista has over a less restrictive OS
like GNU/Linux. "Value" my ass.

> Another quote from Ballmer: "...we have had fewer vulnerabilities,
> fewer issues with Windows Vista in its first six months then any OS
> that preceded it."
>
> Translation:  Other Windows versions were even worse than Vista. He's
> obviously not even counting Linux or OS/X as operating systems. The
> truth is that Vista seems to be worse than any MS OS preceding it
> except maybe ME.

IMHO it's even worse. At least WinME users didn't have to battle with
WGA and other dubious Vista "features" that add "value" to Windows.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "[Microsoft] are willing to lose money for years and years just to
|  make sure that you don't make any money, either." - Bob Cringely.
|  - http://blog.businessofsoftware.org/2007/07/cringely-the-un.html

 21:55:28 up 63 days, 20:50,  5 users,  load average: 0.22, 0.21, 0.18