Re: [News] [Rival] Apple's Leopard Lacks Polish... Gets BSoDs

____/ Rick on Sunday 28 October 2007 11:55 : \____

> On Sun, 28 Oct 2007 11:39:43 +0000, William Poaster wrote:
>
>> Rick wrote:

>>> That is not good. And yes, I think that Apples quality of hardware and
>>> software is over somewhat rated.

>>> When Linux is properly packaged and properly loaded...
>>>
>>> How many distros have been distributed with 0 problems? And while
>>> Compiz Fusion is getting very easy to turn on, there still seem to be a
>>> large number of people with problems.
>>>
>>> OS X IS a nice looking OS. It IS user friendly. BUT ... Macs are fairly
>>> expensive, and the Apple software that makes them attractive (iLife and
>>> the commercial stuff) is all proprietary, and closed source. The
>>> commercial software is also expensive.
>>>
>>> It is a shame the commercial developers haven't figured out how to do
>>> decent ports of MacOS software to Linux and BSD.
>>
>> *BSDs work *very* well without being tainted by any MacOS crap, IMO.
>> It's because Apple have buggered about with BSD, & added their own
>> software that their machines crash.
>

> That may well be true.

Since many Apple Mac users prefer OSS to escape lockin (Thunderbird, Firefox,
NeOffice, etc), one must wonder why they go ga-ga after Aqua (proprietary).
When it comes to virtualisation (Parallels), they can use VMWare on Free
software (free in terms of cost also) and the same goes for their
applications. If they like Apple hardware, they can install/dual-boot Linux on
it. Well-designed laptops will come... and not just from Apple, which
admittedly employs creative people

I've used Mac OS X and it's good looking, but I can't see how it outperforms
Linux in any way. In fact, it lacks a lot of great stuff that exists in KDE
(not just applications). When it comes to looks, if that's a concern, Linux
can be put on 'steroids' that make it mimic OS X _PLUS_ a whole variety of
other things that suit one's personal taste (and are free... and available in
large numbers).

Unisys: open source software set to have a similar impact as the Internet
 13:00:01 up 11 days, 22:45,  3 users,  load average: 0.79, 0.76, 1.21