Re: [News] [Rival] PDF Flaw is Microsoft's Fault, Admits Microsoft

____/ [H]omer on Saturday 27 October 2007 19:51 : \____

>> Microsoft finally admits fault for PDF attacks
>
> Specifically:
>
> "because the vulnerability mentioned in this advisory is in the
> Microsoft Windows ShellExecute function, these third party updates do
> not resolve the vulnerability – they just close an attack vector"
>
>> http://www.itwire.com/content/view/15053/1023/

Some weeks ago, in a similar context, Carla Scroeder (tuxchick) said that the
problem is Windows and as long as Windows exist, all software around it will
be fragile and susceptible to attacks.

Linux Expo Offers Peek Inside Amazon, EBay Data Centers

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux went little mentioned in the opening day's keynotes at this week's
| LinuxWorld conference in San Francisco, where for the first time the open
| source geekfest shares space with the debut Next Generation Data Center
| conference.
`----

http://www.crn.com/networking/201301095

See the related links in the OP again. Windows needs to be overhauled if it is
to ever survive as a secure (and thus viable) platform. At the moment, there
are many layers that are  used to supposedly 'protect' a poorly-built O/S.
They call it Vista and it's a resource hog. It has already had critical flaws
such as the cursor bug.

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."

        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    The most satisfying eXPerience is UNIX
 01:00:01 up 11 days, 10:45,  3 users,  load average: 1.30, 0.81, 0.96