Re: Microsoft adapts XP to work on the OLPC ..

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 27 October 2007 11:19 : \____

>> ____/ Doug Mentohl on Friday 26 October 2007 18:41 : \____
>>
>>> "We're spending a nontrivial amount of money on it," Will Poole said in
>>> an interview on Thursday.
>>>
>>> http://hardware.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/10/26/1344213
>>
>> Microsoft hates this projects.
>>

> I don't think it would matter how much they spent on it, there is no way
> that XP will work on a low powered machine.  What will be left of XP is
> anyone's guess, by the time Microsoft get something to boot and run an
> application, but...
>
> .... and this is the HUGE but...
>
> there are no applications tailored for low-power machines either, so
> even if Microsoft managed to get a cut-down kernel and GUI running,
> there would be nothing to run.
>
> After the disaster of Vista, I can't really see major software houses
> being all that keen to try to support this work, particularly when they
> could just as easily port applications to LinuxXO in the knowledge that
> they would be likely to work.
>
> Furthermore, I wonder just how much damage Viruses, Spam and Trojans and
> other malware could do in an OLPC networked environment.  Why would
> anyone want to expose kids to the Microsoft computing experience anyway?

"Fat operating systems spend most of their energy supporting their own fat."

        --Nicholas Negroponte, MIT Media Lab, rediff.com, Apr 2006

Linux is like a girlfriend; try to stick to one distribution for a lifetime
Tasks: 107 total,   1 running, 105 sleeping,   0 stopped,   1 zombie