Re: [News] Microsoft determined to make OLPC a disaster with XP

____/ Kelton on Saturday 27 October 2007 04:17 : \____

> On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 03:52:39 +0100, [H]omer wrote:
>
> [ Some snipped content ]
>> |
>> | Let's face it, Windows has become so bloated these days that | running
>> it on an XO is like trying to fit an elephant into a | Volkswagen
>> Beetle.
>> |
> [ Some snipped content ]
>> | Of course, there will be piracy but initially Microsoft will turn a |
>> blind eye until it's time to pay the piper down the track, using |
>> collect-or-money-ware such as Windows Genuine Advantage. |
>> | So what's the alternative? OLPC, if you want your program to | achieve
>> its aims, stick to Linux and don't touch Windows with a 30 | foot barge
>> pole.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.itwire.com/index.php?
> option=com_content&task=view&id=15055&Itemid=1023
>
> Please pardon my lack of savvy; what do XO and OLPC mean???

XO is the front end of the platform which runs on the OLPC, which stands for
One Laptop Per Child. XO is the environment that greets the user and it was
customised to be very lightweight, simple, yet powerful. You can find out more
about it on their website (laptop.org, IIRC).

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "Oops. My brain just hit a bad sector"
Mem:    515500k total,   444560k used,    70940k free,     5584k buffers