Re: [News] Microsoft determined to make OLPC a disaster with XP

____/ Almond on Saturday 27 October 2007 05:31 : \____

> In article <oolav4-ejt.ln1@xxxxxxxxxx>, "[H]omer" <spam@xxxxxxx> wrote:
>>Microsoft just don't give up trying to pervert the whole damned world;
>>to satisfy their sick, greedy obsession; do they?:
>
> True. There is simply no limit to their greed.
> Especially that fat parasite, aka "da right hand of willy",
> that sucks worse than a black hole.

For completeness, to repeat a previous message, Microsoft hates this projects.

Poor Kids' Laptop Cranks Up

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates earlier this year told the Microsoft
| Government Leaders Forum, "Geez, get a decent computer where you can
| actually read the text and you?re not sitting there cranking the thing
| while you're trying to type" (see Bill Gates Mocks $100 Laptop).
`----

http://www.redherring.com/article.aspx?a=17302

One Laptop Per Child - Production Delays Caused By Microsoft, Intel?

,----[ Quote ]
| I sincerely hope that no matter what the people who are running the
| OLPC project decide, that their project will continue and not get
| bogged down in a play of corporate greed and ambitions.
`----

http://www.lockergnome.com/nexus/blade/2007/04/28/one-laptop-per-child-production-delays-caused-by-microsoft-intel/

It wants to get poor children 'addicted' to Windows and get their money later
on.

Governments Must Reject Gates' $3 Bid to Addict Next Billion PC Users

,----[ Quote ]
| "Microsoft's strategy of getting developing nations hooked on its
| software was clearly outlined by Bill Gates almost a decade ago," said
| Con Zymaris, CEO of long-standing open source firm Cybersource.
|
| Specifically, Bill Gates, citing China as an example, said:
|
|   "Although about 3 million computers get sold every year in China, but
|   people don't pay for the software," he said. "Someday they will, though.
|   As long as they are going to steal it, we want them to steal ours.
|   They'll get sort of addicted, and then we'll somehow figure out how to
|   collect sometime in the next decade."[1]
`----

http://www.cybersource.com.au/press/gates_set_to_addict_next_billion.html

Intel is the same type of scum in that respect. It doesn't give a flying f*
about children. It cares about money and power and it'll sabotage a
not-for-profit project (driven by good-hearted volunteers) to ensure the
digital divide remains, just like the soaring profits for the shareholder to
enjoy.

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

| That software effort does not have the support of Mr. Otellini, who
| is concerned about incurring Microsoft's wrath, the executive said.
| The two companies have a long history of tension over who controls
| the hardware and software direction of the "Wintel standard." Intel
| has said it is supporting both operating systems.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/04/16/technology/16chip.html?ex=1177560000&en=2ef52cee6b1fb0e3&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS

Intel Inside the Third World

,----[ Quote ]
| Negroponte has repeatedly criticized Intel for what he considers its
| hardball tactics. And yet the rivals may be ready to bury the hatchet:
| BusinessWeek has learned that Intel and OLPC executives are in talks
| regarding how they can work together.
`----

http://www.businessweek.com/globalbiz/content/jun2007/gb20070628_140912.htm?campaign_id=yhoo

Q&A: Intel's Maloney discusses digital divide

,----[ Quote ]
| The One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) project also hopes its low-cost XO laptop
| can close the "digital divide" that exists between the developed world
| and emerging markets.
|
| Much has been made of these two efforts, which are often painted as
| rivals by the media and observers.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070611/tc_infoworld/89252

Which laptop per child?

,----[ Quote ]
| The chipmaking giant Intel is accused of damaging the non-profit scheme to
| provide cheap laptops for the developing world. It says it's helping.
|
| [...]
|
| It is not the first time that Intel has been accused of using its
| near monopoly to overpower rivals - for example, it is being
| investigated by the European Commission over allegations of
| anti-competitive behaviour. AMD, Intel's only major rival and
| the company which supplies the chips inside the XO-1, did not
| waste an opportunity to go on the offensive.
|
| "What we have here is an infinitely powerful monopoly
| metaphorically threatening to break the kneecaps of a non-profit
| if it doesn't 'get in line'," wrote AMD spokesman Michael
| Silverman in a letter published on the Barron's website.
`----

http://technology.guardian.co.uk/weekly/story/0,,2091248,00.html

Merrill: Intel's More Interested In Crushing AMD Than Improving Margins

,----[ Quote ]
| They think that Intel is a lot more interested in reducing AMD to
| its former status than in showing much gross margin improvementt
| his year.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070309/29149_id.html?.v=1

Negreponte says Intel spurned cheap laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| Nicholas Negreponte at MIT said that Intel's Craig Barrett and
| Microsoft's Bill Gate had admitted remarks they'd made about the one
| notebook per child initiative were unfortunate.
|
| Speaking to CNBC Europe, Negreponte said that from his point of view
| it was unfortunate too, because when he and his team talked to
| leaders of small countries the remarks were thrown back in their
| face.

| Though Pentium 4s can sell for up to $637, Intel's average
| cost for making a chip comes to $40, according to a report
| from analysts In-Stat.
|
| The report doesn't consider expenses related to design
| or marketing...
`----

http://news.com.com/Intels+manufacturing+cost+40+per+chip/2100-1006_3-5862922.html

Intel: Only "Open" for Business

,----[ Quote ]
| These vendors often want a quiet private discussion,
| because in a quiet private discussion they can continue to
| dismiss the requests and in the end do absolutely nothing.
| They do not want a noisy public discussion, because then
| they look bad. But they DESERVE TO LOOK BAD, because they
| are being bad to those who bought their hardware!
`----

http://undeadly.org/cgi?action=article&sid=20060930232710&mode=expanded

And then there's Yahoo whose shareholders don't mind censorship and suppression
(death and torture in China). All they care about is the Mighty Buck and the
sad thing is that they indirectly run over human beinsg in the process (not
just animals and Planet Earth).

Google: organising the world's information.  Government: reorgnaising
                     the world's information (censorship) in its favour
 07:20:01 up 10 days, 16:05,  3 users,  load average: 2.36, 1.72, 1.85