Re: [News] Vista Learning Curve Steeper Than Linux Learning Curve

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Thursday 25 October 2007 14:37 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Thu, 25 Oct 2007 00:41:45 +0100
> <2228949.lKQa44gEvu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> Vistification - a temporoary drive to Linux?
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Rupert's just said again what I've been hearing in various places:
>> | Vista's awkwardness is going to drive people to Linux.
>> |
>> | That's something I heard when Specavers moved to Linux. They'd been
>> | thinking about moving before, but there was always a barrier - the cost of
>> | retraining.
>> |
>> | Vista is gratuitously different from Windows XP. So different that it will
>> | take as much retraining (Vistification?) to get a user started on Vista,
>> | as it would to get them shifted to Linux. On Rupert's experience, probably
>> | more.
>> `----
>>
>> http://community.zdnet.co.uk/blog/0,1000000567,10006251o-2000469549b,00.htm
>>
>> The same goes for MSO07 and OOo.
>
> Wasn't ZDNet accused of being in Microsoft's pocket at one point?

It's one of their main advertisers, they use content from CNET (/very/ pro
Microsoft, with partnerships even), and in this case you're looking
at "community", not articles, and "whitepaper" (aka "brainwash"
aka "binware").

> Of course this is only a temporary condition; a new
> generation is being Vistified(tm):
>
>     ... [L]et's not forget that home users now effectively
>     cannot get Windows XP. They're pushed towards Vista
>     Home Premium, and that means here's a generation who
>     will go through the Vistification process at home on
>     their own time, at their own expense.
>
> In a few years, everyone will be running Microsoft Windows
> Vista Home Premium Edition, apparently -- and hating it.
>
> Or they'll be running Linux, and loving it. :-)  To be sure,
> that's a bit binary, but this is COLA, after all; advocating
> Linux is what we do.

Changes will start at the governments, and they already do. Not in the US and
UK though.

http://online.wsj.com/public/article/SB116786111022966326-T8UUTIl2b10DaW11usf4NasZTYI_20080103.html

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/channel/partners_fix_up_office_2007_and_windows_vista.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

> Um...wasn't the whole idea of the ribbon interface to be fresh, new, and
> intuitive?  *smirk*

Roy S. Schestowitz      |  INQredible Hacktivism
Mem:    515500k total,   444228k used,    71272k free,     7912k buffers