Re: WARNING: device driver updates causing Vista to deactivate

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 24 October 2007 16:36 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:33:57 +0100
> <1387728.orOSsBqKNs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> ____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Tuesday 23 October 2007 21:08 : \____
>>
>>> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, [H]omer
>>> <spam@xxxxxxx>
>>>  wrote
>>> on Tue, 23 Oct 2007 20:26:27 +0100

>>> It is indeed a genine advantage -- for Microsoft.  I wish
>>> I could say it was an advantage for the actual customer,
>>> but never mind that, we're only tiny little cogs in the
>>> Mighty Microsoft Marketing Machine, right?
>>>
>>> (And some people may wonder why I'm cynical.)
>>
>> There is at least one class-action lawsuit on its way.
>> It's abuse of consumer rights.
>>

> I wish I could say that's good news...but hopefully at
> least there will be some justice served -- rather cold
> justice, to be sure, as it's been sitting in the freezer
> for more than a decade; presumably, the abuses started
> sometime at, or even before, Win95's release, which was
> more than a decade ago -- and then there's the Republican
> Congress of 1994-2005 and the Republican Presidency
> of 2001-present, both of which are a bit OT for this
> particular newsgroup but might be a factor in the zeal (or
> lack thereof) of pursuit of consumer rights in this area.
>
> We'll see.  I'm also not sure how much of this was settled
> by
>
> http://www.microsoft.com/about/legal/consumersettlements/default.mspx
>
> though since we're discussing Vista we might be looking at
> a fresh new round of litigation anyway.  Let's hope it's
> a bit quicker than the last one.

I'm beginning to wonder if this Windows kill switch is not just a piracy
mechanism. It could be a coverup for Microsoft's agreement with the government
that terrorists' PCs should be possible to disable (or worse -- taking a
country's system down nation-wide, in case of war).

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
 17:05:01 up 8 days,  1:50,  3 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.85, 0.87