Re: [News] fglrx Brings AIGLX to ATI Cards

____/ The Ghost In The Machine on Wednesday 24 October 2007 16:40 : \____

> In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Roy Schestowitz
> <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>  wrote
> on Wed, 24 Oct 2007 03:47:41 +0100
> <4719695.IvnM7W1lmN@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> fglrx 8.42.3 Available For Download
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/vr.php?view=11287
>>
>> AMD 8.42 Driver Brings Fixes, AIGLX!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | For ATI Linux customers, last month was certainly a very exciting time
>> | from AMD announcing open specifications (and the subsequent delivery of
>> | the first batch and the creation of the RadeonHD driver) to the release of
>> | the fglrx 8.41 display driver.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=887&num=1
>
> The new version might be news.  However, fglrx and the
> ATI proprietary drivers (there's also a freeware set;
> the two might even have merged by now but I use nVidia
> equipment and haven't been keeping track) have been out
> for quite some time.
>

>> Another big milestone towards easy Linux eye candy and gaming.
>>

>> Related:
>>
>> Ubuntu Gutsy will come with Compiz
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Anyway, in a Technical Board meeting yesterday it was decided that we will
>> | have Compiz enabled by default in Ubuntu 7.10, barring any obscene blowups
>> | before the beta.
>> `----
>>
>> http://topicpulse.com/articles/article/ubuntu_gutsy_will_come_with_compiz/
>
> Should simplify things for the first time user, with any luck.

Not sure about "simplify" (4 desktops and all that), but simplify /setup/ for
sure, for those who want it.

VISTA - Venereally-Infectious, Sexually-Transmitted Aliment
 17:05:01 up 8 days,  1:50,  3 users,  load average: 0.90, 0.85, 0.87