[News] [SOT] Artists Are Walking Away from the RIAA and Its Ilk, Go Open and Direct

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Artists Are Walking Away from the RIAA and Its Ilk, Go Open and Direct
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2007 11:04:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Why popstars are going it alone

,----[ Quote ]
| Music industry lobby groups have long been among the most vocal advocates of
| copyright reform, urging governments worldwide to prioritise intellectual
| property protection.
|
| [...]
|
| Last week, Radiohead released its latest CD without copy-controls on its
| website under a pay-as-you like system (Canada's Issa - formerly known as
| Jane Siberry - has successfully employed a similar approach for many years).
|
| The Radiohead announcement has unleashed a stunning series of follow-up
| moves - reports indicate that Nine Inch Nails, Oasis, Jamiroquai, the
| Charlatans, and Madonna have either left or are ready to leave their record
| labels in search of greater commercial success through live performances,
| merchandise sales, and other online innovation that may include free
| distribution of their music.

How quickly things change. Will the RIAA hire an SCO to sue those artists that
defect? Will it engage in terrorising people that share packets (potentially
legal music or some malware doing its thing)?

They still struggle to find relevance while artists go independent.

Music industry association recommends flat-rate file sharing

,----[ Quote ]
| I just heard from two contacts in Denmark that their branch of the
| International Federation of Phonogram and Videogram Producers (IFPI) (the
| equivalent of America's RIAA and MPAA) has seriously proposed allowing
| unrestricted downloads of music over peer-to-peer networks, in exchange for a
| modest monthly fee to be charged to all ISP users.
`----

http://radar.oreilly.com/archives/2007/10/music_industry.html

Miserable acts.

Related:

Radiohead album bets on fast release, open pricing

,----[ Quote ]
| The release of popular rock group Radiohead's new album next week is the
| latest wake-up call for a music industry still struggling to deal with the
| advent of digital music, experts say.
`----

http://www.news.com/Radiohead-album-bets-on-fast-release%2C-open-pricing/2100-1025_3-6212107.html?tag=nefd.top

Defendant: RIAA abusing courts to shore up "failing business model"

,----[ Quote ]
| After the lawsuit was filed, Njuguna said she boxed up the PC reportedly used
| for infringement and purchased a new one. She then filed a series of
| counterclaims to the RIAA's lawsuit in an attempt to have the lawsuit
| dismissed and her name cleared. One of those accuses the record labels of
| failing to negotiate in good faith.
|
| [...]
|
| Njugana also accuses the RIAA of engaging in deceptive and unfair trade
| practices, arguing that the record labels have demonstrated repeated behavior
| that has an "adverse effect on the public interest." She also cites former
| RIAA defendant Tanya Andersen's lawsuit (which seeks class-action status) as
| evidence that, unless the courts step in at some point, the RIAA will
| continue its campaign.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070913-defendant-riaa-abusing-courts-to-shore-up-failing-business-model.html

The RIAA will come to regret its court win

,----[ Quote ]
| And, he told his blog readers: "If [the industry tries to] keep up the
| strategy of 'you need us badly and therefore we make the rules' you will lose
| the artists, their managers... and the audience. Another 12 months for this
| Radiohead experiment to become the default approach. Get engaged or get
| outmoded. And do it soon."
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/10/08/0810_riaa_comment/

Mom Sues Universal Music for DMCA Abuse

,----[ Quote ]
| The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) filed suit today against Universal
| Music Publishing Group (UMPG), asking a federal court to protect the fair use
| and free speech rights of a mother who posted a short video of her toddler
| son dancing to a Prince song on the Internet.
`----

http://www.linuxelectrons.com/news/general/10869/mom-sues-universal-music-dmca-abuse

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----
| The eagerly awaited new album by Prince is being launched as a free
| CD with a national Sunday newspaper in a move that has drawn
| widespread criticism from music retailers.
`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html

Business Model Gone Bad: The Music and Movie Edition

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.5thwind.com/?p=58