Re: [News] [Rights] Comcast Targetted by EEF for Breaking the Law and Fighting Free Culture, Software, Networked Apps

____/ [H]omer on Wednesday 24 October 2007 13:39 : \____

>> Comcast to face lawsuits over BitTorrent filtering
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | With regard to Comcast's legal liability, von Lohmann said that
>> | he could not comment as he had not yet had a chance to review the
>> | New York anti criminal impersonation laws
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.cnet.com/8301-13739_1-9802410-46.html?tag=nefd.blgs
>
> This bit cracks me up:
>
> .----
> | On the subject of why the filtering is done networkwide and not
> | just to individual bandwidth hogs: "Comcast (doesn't) throttle on a
> | user-by-user basis rather than a protocol-by-protocol basis, (as
> | the company is) concerned with the privacy implications of that
> | approach." Thats right folks, Comcast will sell network wiretaps to
> | the feds for $1,000 a pop, but won't calculate a user's total
> | bandwidth per month for "privacy reasons."
> `----
>
> To which I can only respond with a hearty LOL!

I sent some of these articles to my cousin in Florida because he has been with
Comcast for many years. He tells me he's too deep in. Sounds like the AOL
scheme, which other cousins of mine have been a victim of since the last
decade when I was there. 8 years later and they still say the same thing...
I'm done with AOL... it never happens. These ISPs and telecoms are just as
corrupt as the software companies and chipmakers. Dubya seems to like 'em
though, so he won't lift a finger (unless it's for them to suck on).

AT&T admits it censored other bands

| It looks like Pearl Jam isn't the only band that has had its politically
| charged comments bleeped from concerts streamed from AT&T's Blue Room Web
| site.
|
| [...]
|
| AT&T quickly apologized for the incident and blamed the company that handles
| the Webcasting for performances on Blue Room.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9759184-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Yup. Criticism of Dubya's policies was bleeped by AT&T.

For one company, FISA wiretaps carry a $1K pricetag

,----[ Quote ]
| Although the scope of surveillance conducted under the Foreign Intelligence
| Surveillance Act remains shrouded in secrecy, newly disclosed documents show
| the costs one company charges the government to eavesdrop on customers.
`----

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/For_one_company_FISA_wiretaps_carry_1016.html

Comcast Is Pretending to be You

,----[ Quote ]
| This AP story makes clear that Comcast is pretending to be part of online
| conversations in order to frustrate users who want to use particular online
| applications.
`----

http://scrawford.net/blog/comcast-is-pretending-to-be-you/1031/

Cute. Isn't that love? One feeds the arms companies, another one keeps the
bands quiet. Pearly feeds journalists (cash infusions for media companies)
and 'charity' for governments that seek software independence.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"