Re: [News] Microsoft Plots to Hijack Open Source Companies

> ____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 21 October 2007 09:09 : \____

>>> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 20 October 2007 13:48 : \____

>>> Were mashups his invention? His page on "Web 2.0" is very different in terms
>>> of definition. FWIW, Microsoft binds mashups to the Windows APIs as means of
>>> blocking its loss of power (shift to the Web). I can give you the URL to a
>>> video which shows this if you want.
>>>

>> I think mash-ups were the natural evolution of the web, to be honest.
>> Computer experts have been doing mash-ups for years;  we used to call
>> them screen-scrapes in the days of the VT100 terminal!  The difference
>> now is that the kind of content which can be "mashed" is very consumer
>> oriented, like maps, GPS information, directories, 2nd-life, phone
>> calls, photos, stuff like that.  Non-technical people's view of things.
>
> Mashups are as 'new' as AJAX (DHTML and other technologies). It's a shame that
> people take credit for words like "Ajax" or "Web 2.0" and claim/inherit credit
> for the invention of something that is associated with it. Gore+Internet?
> Garret (Jesse?) James  actually won an award for "Ajax". He worked closely
> with Jeff Veen, whose joint consultancy is where the term was probably
> introduced. I have followed his blog (Veen) for years, so I probably heard
> about Ajax before most people (Jesse's article in the consultancy's site was
> probably the first). Anyway, Jeff is in Google now (he has a blog analytics
> startup that got acquired), so he barely blogs these days. The Big Vendors
> disassemble ('dissipation'?) the small entrepreneurs and good minds. Brain
> drain? Industry approaching oligarchy? I don't know, but I don't like it...
>
> Prepare for a year when Ballmer snatches and dismantles more than a single open
> source company per month. It's worth the money. You buy a company to be left
> with no competitors on price and quality. I'm still bitter about
> XenSource.... :-(

Don't worry about XenSource.  If we really need this technology, then it
will be re-launched in a fully open way!

Personally, I think middleware (like OpenSAF, OpenClovis etc.) is going
to be far more important in the long run;  virtualisation on a single
machine is a very 1990s way of doing things.  We need virtualisation in
a distributed way, like Beowulf etc.