Re: [News] Custom Linux PCs Push Energy Efficiency to the Limit

____/ Mark Kent on Sunday 21 October 2007 09:07 : \____

>> ____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 20 October 2007 13:47 : \____
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Not for 65-150W per desk, though - air-con becomes a necessity, and then
>>> the electricity bill goes sky-high.  At my school, we /already/ use
>>> air-con in the ICT suite, because it's just too warm otherwise.
>>>
>>> Bear in mind that the electricity bill has to be paid from the school's
>>> annual budget, so if money goes on leccy, then it isn't going on
>>> teachers or books or stationery or educational trips or visitors...
>>
>> I was thinking about recharging. How much does the Eeek! consume?
>>

> I don't know, to be honest, but I know that the XO is in the 2-5 Watts
> bracket, which is very good indeed.  30 of those in a classroom is about
> equivalent to one traditional PC and monitor!

Wow. That's lower consumption than I imagined. SForget about cranks and
batteries. Just set up a small gym next to the classroom.

Linux Super Computer - Powered By Bicycles

,----[ Quote ]
| SiCortex, the first company to engineer a Linux cluster from the silicon up,
| showed of the energy efficiency that can be achieved in high performance
| computing.
`----

http://www.gadgettastic.com/2007/09/15/linux-super-computer-powered-by-bicycles/

Roy S. Schestowitz     | Open minds, open source
 13:05:02 up 4 days, 21:50,  3 users,  load average: 0.48, 1.07, 1.48