[News] Law-related Procedures Need to Go Open Source and Free

  • Subject: [News] Law-related Procedures Need to Go Open Source and Free
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 09 Sep 2007 13:07:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
The Blue Screen of Felony Convictions

,----[ Quote ]
| It’s high time that individuals say “enough” and stop allowing their rights
| to be gradually eroded. Liberty-threatening software must be open source.
`----

http://www.oreillynet.com/onlamp/blog/2007/09/the_blue_screen_of_felony_conv.html

This should also go open source...

Critique of Louis I. Rovner's Polygraph Examination and Testimony in Ohio v.
Sharma

,----[ Quote ]
| The trial is now over. The defendant, Sahil Sharma of New York City, waived
| his right to a jury trial, and according to a press account, Judge Hunter
| acquitted him at least in part based upon the polygraph results.
`----

https://antipolygraph.org/cgi-bin/forums/YaBB.pl?num=1187845990

Related:

Secret Breathalyzer Software Finally Revealed

,----[ Quote ]
| As I’ve indicated in previous posts, defense attorneys for years have been
| trying to discover the software source code used by manufacturers of various
| breathalyzer models.
`----

http://www.duiblog.com/2007/09/04/secret-breathalyzer-software-finally-revealed/

Police Blotter: Defendant wins breathalyzer source code

,----[ Quote ]
| What became central to the dispute was whether the source code was owned by
| the state or CMI, the maker of the Intoxilyzer.
|
| Minnesota's original bid proposal that CMI responded to says that "all right,
| title, and interest in all copyrightable material" that CMI creates as part
| of the contract "will be the property of the state." The bid proposal also
| says CMI must provide "information" to be used by "attorneys representing
| individuals charged with crimes in which a test with the proposed instrument
| is part of the evidence," which seems to include source code.
`----

http://news.com.com/Police+Blotter+DUI+defendant+wins+breathalyzer+source+code/2100-7348_3-6201632.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

The Future of Elections: Open Source Voting

,----[ Quote ]
| But how would you feel if Microsoft Windows was powering the voting booth in
| which you were to select important elected officials? Would you, knowing of
| Microsoft's past security record, feel confident that using this OS and not
| being allowed to inspect the code, feel safe knowing that these machines
| could very well help to dictate the future of your perspective countries?
| Don't feel guilty, I don't really like it either.
`----

http://www.osweekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&Itemid=&task=view&id=2610

A Publicly Owned and Controlled Voting System Ensuring Transparency and
Oversight by the People or Nothing

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source code optical scanners begin to restore some of that transparency
| which would be eliminated by private vendors who bar the public from access
| to any source code information. The advantage of open source software is that
| it is available for public inspection by anyone with some level of computer
| literacy, not just those designated to see the escrowed source code pursuant
| to a non disclosure agreement.
`----

http://www.opednews.com/articles/opedne_andi_nov_070729_a_publicly_owned_and.htm

Microsoft Muscles the NYS Legislature