Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's OOXML Likely Dead in ISO; Man Strivess to Fix Broken ISO

____/ Mark Kent on Friday 07 September 2007 22:40 : \____

>> Norbert Bollow starts OpenISO
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| What do engineers do when they observe a problem? They start a project to
>>| fix it. A Swiss standard expert who got annoyed by the "Open XML bug" of
>>| ISO procedures launched OpenISO.org.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.noooxml.org/forum/t-18681/norbert-bollow-starts-openiso
>
> A not unsurprising outcome.  The audacity of Microsoft in trying to
> subvert the whole planet's standards process is amazing, but ultimately,
> rather likely to be a shot in the foot.  Even had they been successful,
> I doubt it would've got over all the hurdles, and the resentment caused
> would dwarf even the upset massed ranks of Xbox360 portable cookers.

I can't recall if you were on holiday when this happened, but this series of
endless corruption may have just cost them becoming part of the OSI. Look at
ESR's reaction.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/blogs/securifythis/soa/APEC-and-OOXML-both-pointless-and-annoying/0,139033343,339281842,00.htm

http://ooxmlisdefectivebydesign.blogspot.com/2007/08/microsoft-office-xml-formats-defective.html

http://www.microsoft-watch.com/content/business_applications/microsoft_fud_watch_ooxml_edition.html?kc=MWRSS02129TX1K0000535

>> Microsoft spins OOXML loss as a win
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Microsoft lost its effort to win ?fast track? approval of its OOXML (which
>>| it calls Open XML)  as an international standard, but you wouldn?t know
>>| that from reading much of the press coverage.
>>|
>>| * Microsoft claims global support for Open XML.
>>| * Microsoft reports victory in preliminary ISO ballot.
>>| * Microsoft takes big step toward OOXML approval.
>>| * Microsoft is seen winning an international standard vote.
>>| * Strong global support for Open XML.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1382
>>

>> Lord, what fools these mortals be!
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| No kidding. Microsoft continues to steam-roll the competition, as
>>| illustrated by its latest attempt to ram acceptance of OOXML through ISO by
>>| the blatantly rigging the vote. And of course the European's really love
>>| Microsoft's business practices. Not. No, Microsoft has the DoJ in their hip
>>| pocket thanks to the "pro-business" stance of the Bush administration, and
>>| as long as Bushites remain in power and the Democrats remain inept and
>>| impotent, it's going to stay that way. Which leaves those of use who really
>>| believe in a free and fair market to fend for ourselves.
>> `----
>>
>> http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/09/lord-what-fools-these-mortals-be.html

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    Useless fact: ~70% of organisms are bacteria
 00:05:01 up 32 days,  2:58,  5 users,  load average: 0.57, 1.09, 1.45