[News] Linux on Old and Low-end PCs a Success

  • Subject: [News] Linux on Old and Low-end PCs a Success
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 07 Sep 2007 13:01:26 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Small Linux Roundup

,----[ Quote ]
| I was really blown away. Who knew you could fit so much in an old machine?
| Like DSL it had everything you need. But in addition everything worked out of
| the box, and what was really neat is SeaMonkey came with Flash9 installed. I
| could watch YouTube and even DVD’s (although some I tried didn’t work.)
|
| I ended up sticking with Puppy on a laptop install. Before I installed I used
| Puppy and the mount tool to copy all the existing files off the computer.
| These I burned onto a DVD and gave back to it’s owner. I then installed to
| hard drive and after a bit of tweaking it was a brand new computer. I could
| play music and even Super Nintendo games after I found the .pup file online.
`----

http://www.wmtoolbox.com/tools/small-linux-roundup/

Will Low-Cost Laptops Help
Kids in Developing Countries?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118892795619917030.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Dialogue.

Related (yesterday):

How PDAs Are Saving Lives in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, year-old pilot projects in Zambia and Kenya are showing that data
| received from the field has streamlined the inoculation of children against
| measles, collected information on HIV, and has even helped to contain a polio
| outbreak. For some, PDAs are mostly a convenient way to check email and keep
| up with schedules. In the developing world, these devices perform many of the
| same tasks--but when equipped with EpiSurveyor can help save lives.
`----

http://www.undispatch.com/archives/2007/09/how_pdas_are_sa.php

Red Hat High campers are bridging the digital divide

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118886