Re: [News] Intel Deeper in Antitrust Mud While AMD Buddies up with Open Source and Linux

____/ Mark Kent on Thursday 06 September 2007 14:14 : \____

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/amd-lose-another-sales-executive/story.aspx?guid=%7B69C1A925-66D8-4905-9519-7251235FEAD3%7D&siteid=yhoof

>> Meanwhile, however, AMD promises to open up components and it improved
>> performance tremendously.
>>
>> AMD Delivers Significant Graphics Performance and Compatibility Enhancements
>> for Consumer Linux Users
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>| Moving forward, AMD also plans to accelerate efforts to address the needs
>>| of the open source community as well.
>>|
>>| "As client computing on Linux continues to grow so has our support and
>>| focus on delivering best-in-class performance and compatibility for our
>>| products," said Ben Bar-Haim, vice president of software, Graphics Product
>>| Group at AMD.
>> `----
>>
>> http://biz.yahoo.com/bw/070905/20070904006432.html?.v=1
>
> It's funny this, because if there'd been an open-source ATI driver
> around for the last few years, I'd've always bought ATI cards.  Most of
> the processors here are AMD or PPC, except where they're ARM or MIPS...
> I've a couple of Intel, too, but they were always more expensive for
> similar performance when I was buying.

Dell uses ATI for the Linux PCs. They'll get the drivers they requested. This
is great news indeed.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    No SCO code was used to generate this sig
Tasks: 124 total,   1 running, 123 sleeping,   0 stopped,   0 zombie