Re: [News] The Reaons MSBBC Cannot be Taken Seriously Anymore

[H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:
> Verily I say unto thee, that Mark Kent spake thusly:
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> What else should we expect from a Windows shop full of toner monkeys,
>>> where their executive chief toner monkey is an ex-Microsoft employee?
>>
>> Is he really?  I had no idea.  No wonder it's all falling apart.  We
>> need someone technically competent in charge of the BBC, not an
>> ex-Microsoft person.
>
> .----
>| In particular, the FSF says the appointment of Erik Huggers, the
>| former director of Microsoft's Windows digital media division, as
>| the BBC's controller of the future media and technology group in
>| May this year, is evidence of Redmond-driven corruption of the
>| BBC's core values.
> `----
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/02/fsf_bbc_protest/

Oh, gods... that's terrifying.  No wonder the BBC have abandoned all
their own efforts and are shovelling millions of licence-fee money over
to the US.  The BBC, the original public service broadcast, inventors
of teletext and nicam, the dirac codec, several digital TV codecs, one
of the oldest and largest broadcasters in the world, and they're paying
/someone else/ to "teach" them how to broadcast.  That's what happens
when you do all this "recruiting experts from outside".  They never had
any expertise, all they can do is go back to their mates to help them
out, except their mates are now in a different company.

> Of course the whole division was /bought/ by Siemens (a Windows shop) in
> 2004, so this is not really surprising:
>
> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2004/10/01/bbc_technology/
>
> I hear the MSBBC are planning to use the Windows symbol as the permanent
> on-screen logo, so as to apease their "content providers" over copyright
> issues. They'll be launching the MSBBC name and logo on Gates and
> Ballmer's first TV show, called the Pearly and Sweaty Show - an eclectic
> mix of DRM encumbered chart music, celebrity Microsoft employee chat,
> Microsoft "product placement" advertising, and an all new and exciting
> competition, where contestants compete for Ferrari laptops, by reporting
> close friends and family as software pirates using the phone-in version
> of WGA. The first 100 million callers get a free gift too, a choice
> between a Zune, an Xbox 360, or a copy of Windows Vista (apparently
> there's an overstocking issue, so they have plenty spare).

Somehow, none of that would surprise me were it to happen.