[News] Further Proof That Linux Laptops Can Assist and Save Developing Nations

  • Subject: [News] Further Proof That Linux Laptops Can Assist and Save Developing Nations
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:11:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
How PDAs Are Saving Lives in Africa

,----[ Quote ]
| So far, year-old pilot projects in Zambia and Kenya are showing that data
| received from the field has streamlined the inoculation of children against
| measles, collected information on HIV, and has even helped to contain a polio
| outbreak. For some, PDAs are mostly a convenient way to check email and keep
| up with schedules. In the developing world, these devices perform many of the
| same tasks--but when equipped with EpiSurveyor can help save lives.
`----

http://www.undispatch.com/archives/2007/09/how_pdas_are_sa.php

This is one of the points ignores by the likes of Enderle and the rest of the
shills sent to discredit the initiative. Here's Red Hat's new take on this:

Red Hat High campers are bridging the digital divide

,----[ Quote ]
| He compares the philosophy behind Red Hat High to his company's involvement
| with the One Laptop Per Child (OLPC) initiative. "We have a very calculated
| social consciousness. OLPC is about getting that laptop into the hands of as
| many kids as possible. Red Hat High is about getting the understanding of
| what free software can do into the brains of as many kids as possible."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118886

Red Hat's CEO said that terrorism is a result of the digital divide. They have
begun signing Linux desktop contracts (H-P and Dell so far), for RHEL
5.1 'desktop edition'.

Related:

Matthew Szulik on Red Hat culture, the power of open source

,----[ Quote ]
| You need leaders who will hire other leaders. Interestingly, our success
| in finding "believers" seems to be higher outside the United States. Of
| the last 1,000 people we've hired over the last 12 months, two-thirds
| have been outside the U.S. This the hardest part of my job: hiring goodp
| eople. I take it very seriously.
`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9746757-7.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=NewsBlog

Szulik: 'There must be problems with Vista'

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.zdnetasia.com/news/software/0,39044164,61965885,00.htm