[News] Open Source Reciprocity and 'Open Source' Fluff

  • Subject: [News] Open Source Reciprocity and 'Open Source' Fluff
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2007 12:05:52 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
MuleSource Launches MuleForge for Open-Source SOA

,----[ Quote ]
| The free ESB vendor thinks users will contribute code in exchange for
| support.
`----

http://www.networkcomputing.com/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201804081

Interesting idea. Return your improvements to the code and get free support.

CPAL is now OSI-approved, sadly enough.

Source-Open?

,----[ Quote ]
| What's not so cool is that the new Aptana Public License specifically blocks
| against redistribution which is going to hurt Eclipse community members like
| EasyEclipse and Yoxos who ship Eclipse distros (this also includes Linux
| distros). This in the end, eventually hurts the Eclipse community at large.
`----

http://mea-bloga.blogspot.com/2007/09/source-open.html

Betting the business on open source

,----[ Quote ]
| It will be interesting to see how far mStation will take this open source
| decision-making concept, not to mention what products the process will
| create.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/09/betting_the_bus.html

What a heavily abused term. Microsoft wants to be a part of it too. 'Open
Source' blocks of code for XAML/SharePoint/Windows and the rest of the
proprietary stack which comes with nasty EULAs?

Related:

Merging "Open Source" and "Free Software"

,----[ Quote ]
| Of course, they are not. Other Shared Source licenses may very well be too
| restrictive to be considered Open Source. But, Microsoft may conveniently
| divert the attention from this little detail to the fact that some of
| Shared Source licenses are Open Source.
`----

http://www.libervis.com/article/merging_open_source_and_free_software

Microsoft not so 'open' after all?

,----[ Quote ]
| Head of open-source group says more than half of licenses don't pass muster
|
| [...]
|
| Michael Tiemann, president of the non-profit Open Source Initiative, said
| that provisions in three out of five of Microsoft's shared-source licenses
| that restrict source code to running only on the Windows operating system
| would contravene a fundamental tenet of open-source licenses as laid out by
| the OSI. By those rules, code must be free for anyone to view, use, modify as
| they see fit.
|
| [...]
|
| By his count, the OSI has rejected "two dozen" or so license applications for
| language that restricted the use or redistribution of software and its source
| code, even when the restrictions were written with what Tiemann
| called "moral" intent. For instance, the OSI has rejected license
| applications from Quakers and other pacifists who sought to prevent the use
| of software for weapons such as landmines.
|
| "I am highly sympathetic to that point of view," he said. "But the OSI is not
| in the business of legislating moral use. We allow all use, commercial or
| non-commercial, mortal or medical."
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9028318&intsrc=news_ts_head

Microsoft vs. The Linux World