Re: Early Look at a New PEPIS for Old PCs (AntiX)

On Wed, 05 Sep 2007 03:45:16 -0700, dapunka wrote:

> On 5 Sep, 09:53, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> ReviewLinux.Com: First Look at MEPIS AntiX 7.0 Beta 2
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I am always looking for a faster Linux OS that just does the basics. I want a
>> | low-overhead Linux distro that can run on almost any machine be it a Pentium
>> | 2 to a Pentium 4. MEPIS AntiX 7.0 Beta 2 might just be the one. Check out my
>> | short little review about this Linux distro plus my flash video showing off
>> | this fast and lightweight Linux OS.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.reviewlinux.com/index.php?m=show&id=6903
>>
>> Related:
>>
>> antiX MEPIS 6.5 Screenshots
>>
>> http://shots.linuxquestions.org/?linux_distribution_sm=antiX%20MEPIS%...
>>
>> AntiX "Spartacus", Lightweight Version of MEPIS is Released
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | MEPIS has announced the "Spartacus" release of antiX, a lightweight
>> | derivative of MEPIS. AntiX is built and maintained by MEPIS community member
>> | anticapitalista, as a free version of MEPIS for very old 32 bit PC hardware.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.mepis.org/node/13830
>>
>> New AntiX distro makes older hardware usable
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | I've been a fan of SimplyMEPIS for years. The distribution was one of the
>> | early pioneers in the field of user-friendly Linux development, and to this
>> | day offers a system that usually "just works." Earlier this month the MEPIS
>> | site announced a community variation for older computers based on
>> | SimplyMEPIS. AntiX is an installable live CD that features a modern kernel,
>> | recent X server, and lighter applications for use on computers with as little
>> | as 64MB RAM. I tried it, and liked what I found.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.linux.com/feature/11520399
>
> I tried out SimplyMEPIS about a year ago.  The LiveCD ran like a snail
> on the older PC I put it in, but that's LiveCDs for you I guess.  So I
> installed it, then found it didn't have wvdial, the PPP dialler I need
> to allow a cellphone to act as a modem.  Bah!

You've really got to get better net access sorted out :-)

I've tried AntiX - even tried to install it, but though the Live CD worked
okay, the installer wouldn't let me put root and home onto two separate
hard drives but kept trying to install into the only place I *didn't* want
it to. So I gave up. Apart form that, it looked pretty good, though
Fluxbox isn't to everyone's taste, I must admit

> Incidentally, the write-up that came with the CD boasted how
> SimplyMEPIS comes with all those codecs like mp3 so you can play your
> music "out the box".  But my mp3 collection was on the hard disk, and
> I couldn't figure out how to access them while using the LiveCD.  How
> does one do that?

I'm sure there's a proper, standard GUI way to mount hard disks in Live
Mepis, but I've never worked it out, but how I do it is open the
mediaplayer (I think it's Kplayer in Mepis), use the Open icon to navigate
to your hard disk (it'll be in mnt, or possibly media), and it should
mount when you click on the directory. Once you've done that it ought to
be navigable from the ordinary file browser from them on.

If you are using AntiX, it uses Roxfiler. Navigate to your hard disk,
mount it (I think it asks if you want to , or just clicking should do it,
I've ony used AntiX fairly briefly, so I'm going by memory here). Open
Xine, and drag the file you want to play to it, or use the file opener in
Xine to get to your chosen mp3 or whatever.

Visually, Flux and Rox are a bit of a mismatch, but they work well
together.

BTW, you might want to look at your subject line and amend it slightly ;-)

--
Kier