[News] The Power of Linux in Managing Large Clusters (With Example)

  • Subject: [News] The Power of Linux in Managing Large Clusters (With Example)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 12:17:48 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Managing hundreds of Linux machines is easy.

,----[ Quote ]
| If you wish to set up a windows machine a certain way this means that you
| will have no other choice but to connect to each machine and perform the
| required registry setting. Sure this can be done by a script or via a reg
| file but you have no guarantee that each registry is the same. It is also
| time consuming and as you are changing the registry the machine needs to be
| rebooted to make sure that the settings come into effect. With a Linux
| machine all you need to do is set your configuration files to how you want
| them and then batch copy those file to every machine at once. It is far
| quicker and you can guarantee that each machine is set up exactly the same.
| You don't need to reboot the machine either. The end user has no idea, not
| even the slightest that you have adjusted his machine.
`----

http://blogs.ittoolbox.com/linux/locutus/archives/managing-hundreds-of-linux-machines-is-easy-18794

Foresight Linux has just released its newsletter...

Foresight Linux Newsletter Volume I, Issue 6 (August 2007)

http://wiki.foresightlinux.com/confluence/display/newsletter/2007/09/01/

Related:

Top 500 Supers: Moore's Law Is Alive and Well

,----[ Quote ]
| There are two Windows-based clusters, and 42 machines that run a mix
| of operating systems--and one of those operating systems in the mix is
| always a Linux and the other is a variant of Unix. If you want to be
| fair, Linux is represented on 86 percent of the machines...
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tlb/tlb071007-story02.html

Altair Engineering's PBS Professional Bundled With Linux-Based SGI Altix XE
Clusters

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://linux.sys-con.com/read/281349_p.htm