[News] Free/Open Source Software Development is Fast

  • Subject: [News] Free/Open Source Software Development is Fast
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 11:32:18 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
How open source speeds development...the Zipidy example

,----[ Quote ]
| I spent some time today talking with Cosimo Sperais, CEO of Zipidy. Zipidy
| provides an interesting mobile solution that currently helps end-users find
| and pay for parking (the technology, however, has uses well beyond parking).
| Funny enough, the company was born from Cosimo's problem one day in finding
| parking in San Francisco.
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9770577-16.html

SugarCRM 5 Pulling Against Closed Source CRM

,----[ Quote ]
| A beta community preview release of Sugar 5.0 is expected to be available
| this week with full general availability expected by the end of Septetember.
`----                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.linuxplanet.com/linuxplanet/reports/6415/1/

GPLv3.

JasperSoft revs up Salesforce reporting

,----[ Quote ]
| Open source business intelligence firm JasperSoft has finally rolled out the
| Summer 07 release of its Salesforce.com sales analysis software.
`----

http://www.cbronline.com/article_news.asp?guid=230EDEE5-94B2-49EF-9AE2-31D17AF94DFC

Related:

Change and development with open source

,----[ Quote ]
| Innovation goes hand in hand with open source software. Open source software
| builds on the innovative nature of people; it comes from people's desire to
| make something better. It also gives people the skills and resources to
| become innovative with software.
|
| This is not abstract speculation; a recent report from a group of corporate
| CIOs states, 'faster product cycles are seen as a big advantage for open
| source - CIOs believe that product innovation is faster in open source'.
`----

http://www.nccmembership.co.uk/pooled/articles/BF_WEBART/view.asp?Q=BF_WEBART_292509

Apple's Annual Developer's Conference Disappoints For Its Lack of Innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple shares fell 3.45% yesterday on general investor disappointment
| with what was perceived as a lack of innovation at Apple's annual
| software developer's conference [WWDC].
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070612/38015_id.html?.v=1

Novell Hack Week: an experiment in innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| According to legendary scientist Albert Einstein, "everything that is really
| great and inspiring is created by the individual who can labor in freedom."
| Perhaps that is why open-source software is such fertile ground for
| innovation.
|
| [...]
|
| Are there plans to do another Hack Week in the future? If Novell does another
| Hack Week, is there something that you would like to see done differently?
|
| Absolutely. We're looking at doing it again in 6 months or so. No date is set
| yet, but in the future we hope to involve more participants from the
| community.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/articles/culture/novell-hack-week-an-experiment-in-innovation.ars

Innovation: The REAL Killer App

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no true innovation in Windows Vista. Microsoft has spent
| years developing a product that nobody cared about or wanted. All
| Microsoft was developing was the operating system they needed to
| perpetuate their Windows franchise. After long hold ups in
| development, this has left their Windows revenues at a trickle.
| The sad thing is the GNU/Linux camp has done little to combat
| this deficiency in innovation. They have been more concerned
| with creating an equivalent product at a better price rather than
| a better product at a better price. Sure GNU/Linux is a better
| product due to its inherent stability, performance and security,
| but these aren't the features that home consumers migrate
| platforms for. True innovation, such as improvements in usability,
| is the only way one can convince consumers to choose your product
| over a stagnant entrenched one like Windows. It is simple free
| market economics, the better product at the best price will win.
`----

http://free2code.blogspot.com/2007/04/innovation-real-killer-app.html

Balancing open source risk and the total innovation opportunity

,----[ Quote ]
| This week I have been banging on and on about the total
| innovation opportunity of using open source software as an
| enterprise development platform.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/01/balancing_open.html

Interview: author and ex-Microsoft manager Scott Berkun

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.thejemreport.com/mambo/content/view/348/