[News] Virtual Iron Has New Release, Has Free Software Competitors

  • Subject: [News] Virtual Iron Has New Release, Has Free Software Competitors
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:31:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Virtual Iron's v4 takes on VMware, XenSource

,----[ Quote ]
| Virtual Iron Software Inc. of Lowell, Mass., has upped the revision number of
| its eponymous virtualization platform to version 4. The latest version builds
| on the 64-bit Xen 3.1 open source code from XenSource Inc.., integrating
| support for Novell  SUSE Linux Enterprise Server (SLES) 10 kernel and
| drivers, offering a new management console, and adding new
| physical-to-virtual (P2V) and virtual-to-virtual (V2V) migration
| capabilities.
`----

http://searchservervirtualization.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid94_gci1270314,00.html

VMware and Parallels are Fine, but what about Free Virtualization Software for
the Mac?

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox 1.5 adds a number of new features such as seamless windowing mode
| where the windows of a VM directly integrate with your Linux or Windows
| desktop - making VirtualBox the first product to offer this support on the
| Windows and Linux platforms.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/09/vmware_and_para.html

Related:

VirtualBox 1.5 puts Windows windows on a Linux desktop

,----[ Quote ]
| or the first time, the new version now displays the guest's windows
| seamlessly on the host system's desktop instead of showing the guest system's
| complete desktop in its own window.
`----

http://www.heise.de/english/newsticker/news/95395/from/rss09

VirtualBox 1.5 released with seamless Windows integration

,----[ Quote ]
| The second screenshot shows that even Windows’ task bar is embedded into the
| Linux system.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/09/03/virtualbox-15-released-with-seamless-windows-integration/

VirtualBox Making Waves as Open Source Virtualization Platform

,----[ Quote ]
| The youngest virtualization player to enter the x86 virtualization market
| is Innotek. And the company has recently announced a new release of its
| product, VirtualBox version 1.4.0, for Windows and Linux.
`----

http://weblog.infoworld.com/virtualization/archives/2007/06/virtualbox_maki.html#45612313338246635702

Fedora 7 screenshot gallery

,----[ Quote ]
| 33 screenshots from the installation to the desktop all made with the
| help of Virtualbox.
`----

http://www.winxperts.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=1166&hl=

VirtualBox 1.4.0 adds cool new features

,----[ Quote ]
| As promised at CeBIT 2007, InnoTek has released version 1.4.0
| of its VirtualBox virtualization software. Despite the modest
| increase in the version number, the new release boasts a few
| new features as well as a host of tweaks and behind-the-scenes
| improvements.
`----

http://applications.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/06/06/1340255&from=rss

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/06/06/virtualbox-14-released/

InnoTek VirtualBox [Mini Review]

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I am impressed with the performance and features of InnoTek
| Virtual Box. The performance wasn't as impressive as it was with
| Parallel's desktop but it was better than the performance I got with
| VMware Fusion.
`----

http://digitaldiscobash.com/2007/05/16/innotek-virtualbox/

VirtualBox installation screenshots

,----[ Quote ]
| VirtualBox is an opensource virtualization software, it has a nice
| graphical interface like VMWare, and which is a lack of QEMU, recently
| (march, 14th) it has released its version this is what their site says
| about VirtualBox.
`----

http://linux.go2linux.org/node/54

VirtualBox 1.3.8 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| Mar 14, 2007. InnoTek today announced that it has released a maintenance
| update to VirtualBox, bringing it to version 1.3.8. A large number of
| corrections and improvements have been made, addressing requests from both
| commercial customers and community members. The list of supported Linux
| systems has further increased with the addition of custom installation
| packages for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (RHEL4) and Mandriva 2007.1.
`----

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/News

How Microsoft bought out its rival:

Heady Days for Virtual Systems

,----[ Quote ]
| The former Microsoft Latest News about Microsoft general manager is
| now vice president of XenSource, a Palo Alto, Calif., virtualization
| company with a growing outpost in Redmond, Wash.

What the XenSource deal says about open source

,----[ Quote ]
| This is what Citrix is paying for. That and a close relationship with
| Microsoft that looks likely to get closer. “We will be building dynamic
| virtualization services and management tools on top of Viridian,” Levine
| added. “We will build the same set of products we’ve built on top of Xen for
| Viridian. We’ve already hired a team to go do that up in Redmond.”
|
| While Citrix maintained it will continue support for the Xen project, this
| deal is not about a proprietary vendor getting open source religion. It's
| about grabbing an emerging player in a rapidly expanding sector of the
| market.
`----

http://www.businessreviewonline.com/os/archives/2007/08/what_the_xensou.html

Does Citrix Have A Chance Against VMware In Virtualization?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2007/08/27/does-citrix-have-a-chance-against-vmware-in-virtualization/?mod=yahoobarrons
http://tinyurl.com/35bvcg