[News] Novell May Have Messed About with Financial Figures, Still Helps Microsoft's Monopoly

  • Subject: [News] Novell May Have Messed About with Financial Figures, Still Helps Microsoft's Monopoly
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 05 Sep 2007 09:28:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Novell massages the numbers

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell is also good at PR. It has been talking about desktop Linux being just
| around the corner for years, without delivering anything worthwhile. No
| wonder I get such a hit to the numbers here for mentioning Ubuntu.
|
| This continuing game of massaging numbers and expectations, rather than
| delivering solid performance or solid software, hurts the whole open source
| market.
|
| Having covered Novell for two decades, I’m frankly tired of it. Wall Street,
| not so much. As long as there is action Wall Street is happy.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1380

Here is a press release from Microsoft (Novell and de Icaza grab attention):

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQW07105092007-1.htm

And then there's the article...

Microsoft Launches Silverlight With Full Linux Support

,----[ Quote ]
| Novell's Miguel de Icaza heads up the company's Moonlight project, which has
| ported the Silverlight player over to Linux using open-source tools from the
| Mono project.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/monkeybites/2007/09/microsoft-launc.html

Will all Linux users be required Mono to access the Web now? Instead of
fighting XAML, Novell helps it. Same with OOXML. Sellouts.