Re: [News] .NET is Being Dropped, Java Use Grows

<newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Fri, 31 Aug 2007 21:28:14 +0100
<51696111.y7JWi8Wsmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> Eclipse Drives Increasing Java SOA Use, While .NET Declines
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Developers and IT managers actively working on Web Services, are increasingly
> | executing SOA deployments on a Java platform, while those planning to build
> | SOA implementations on .NET have decreased by almost 20% in the last six
> | months.
> `----
>
> http://www.sda-india.com/sda_india/psecom,id,22,site_layout,sdaindia,news,19989,p,0.html

I strongly suspect .NET is going into "stealth" mode, and
not being explicitly dropped by anyone.  Then again, .NET
has not been particularly impressive, compared to Java;
at best .NET is Java et al warmed-over, with a few extra
spices, in general capability.  (A pity Sun misstepped so
badly regarding EJB protocol, however.  However, one might
point out that back when EJB was first being developed,
XML communications -- as opposed to configuration -- was
either nonexistent or nascent.  I'd frankly have to look.)

I'll admit I'm not sure what the answer should be exactly,
but .NET is certainly not it.  Perhaps part of it is that
Java came first, but part of it is Java's relative freedom
(it's not freeware, admittedly, though it would be *very*
nice if Kaffe can run JBoss -- and Java 1.6 shows signs of
allowing source code retrieval, if only under the somewhat
restrictive JCP license).

[rest snipped for brevity]

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #992398129:
void f(unsigned u) { if(u < 0) ... }