Re: Can we trust Netcraft any more?

____/ Jim Richardson on Thursday 30 August 2007 01:38 : \____

> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 16:16:19 -0500,
>  Erik Funkenbusch <erik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 10:44:56 GMT, Linonut wrote:
>>
>>> After takin' a swig o' grog, Erik Funkenbusch belched out this bit o'
>>> wisdom:

>>> No need for him to do that, they do a fine job themselves:
>>>
>>>    http://www.gnu.org/software/dotgnu/danger.html
>>>
>>>     DotGNU - Keeping You from Getting Tangled in a Net!
>>>
>>>     The DotGNU project was started in reaction to Microsoft's .NET
>>>     strategy, which was born out of a vision for the future of
>>>     information technology which we do not agree with, namely that "the
>>>     era of 'open computing,' the free exchange of digital information
>>>     that has defined the personal computer industry, is ending."
>>>
>>>     . . .
>>>
>>>     Unlike .NET, DotGNU will use a peer-to-peer system for service
>>>     discovery, and avoid the use of centralized
>>>     authentication/authorization portals like the "Passport" system.
>>>     DotGNU's strategy for these areas is not only technologically
>>>     superior, but it also serves to ensure that no-one will ever have
>>>     the kind of monopoly power which would be necessary for ending the
>>>     free exchange of digital information.
>>>
>>>     Additional, Related Dangers
>>>
>>>     Microsoft's political lobbying
>>>
>>>     According to a recent article in CIO Magazine, Microsoft has an
>>>     overwhelming impact on technology policy, and Microsoft has lobbied
>>>     particularly hard against "open source".
>>>
>>>     The Growing Influence of Microsoft Corp. in Academics
>>>
>>>     Independent e-Commerce Threatened by .NET
>>>
>>>     The Vendor Lock-In Problem for Webservices
>>>
>>>     Privacy Issues
>>>
>>>     Security Issues
>>>
>>>     No-one Else Is Challenging Microsoft
>>>
>>>     Frequently Asked Questions
>>>     Isn't it foolish to try competing with Microsoft?
>>>
>>>     Why can't we just wait and see whether the effects of .NET are
>>>     really so bad?
>>>
>>> Good ol' Erik.  As always, it is what he doesn't say that is most
>>> important.
>>
>> All that's nice, but it has nothing to do with what we're talking about.
>> It's being claimed that C# code is Microsoft proprietary.  That's false.
>>
>> The argument about authentication systems is laughable. *NOBODY*, other
>> than Microsoft uses Passport.  None of the code on Codeplex uses passport.
>> Passport is so NOT a part of .NET as to be laughable.
>>
>> But all that is beside the point.  Mono and Dotgnu are two implementations
>> of ISO C# outside of Microsoft.  That completely obliterates the argument
>> that C# code is proprietary.
>

> Ian stated that the reason was the uncertain legal position of mono, not
> that C# was proprietary.  Given MS sabre rattling over patents for the
> last couple of months, I'd say that uncertain is a good way to put it.

Novell 'customers' received 'exemptions' for Mono (for 5 years). Xandros and
Linspire /explicitly/ did not. It speaks volumes. Need that be said louder?

Roy S. Schestowitz      | "Ping this IP, see if it responds the second time"
Swap:  1510068k total,   510372k used,   999696k free,    90568k cached