Re: Statistical Estimate: Linux Desktop Users Outnumber Mac Users, Wii Owners Outnumber XBox360 Owners

On Aug 30, 2:23 am, Roy Schestowitz <newsgro...@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
> Playing the numbers game: how many Linux installations and users are out there?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | But smolt is only an opt-in tool and is not offered during text installations

I don't see why estimating the number of Linux machines is so
difficult.

It's similar to the mark/recapture method for estimating the number of
types of species variants.

We know roughly how many PCs there are -- 1 Billion right?

Ok, so we take any random sampling of people who own PCs -- say 1,000
-- or even 10,000.

You ask them:

Are you running Windows on your PC?

(I would hesitate to ask "Why Operating System are you running?" as
this would result in dead silence on the line in many cases).

The Linux and Mac users will chirp up -- "oh, I'm not using Windows!
I'm using (Suse|Fedora|Ubuntu|OSX)."

>From this group, you extrapolate across the 1,000,000,000 PCs in
existance.

WHY IS THIS SO HARD FOR SOMEONE TO DO/NOT DO???