[News] Linux Tablet a Superior and Cheaper Alternative to iPhone

  • Subject: [News] Linux Tablet a Superior and Cheaper Alternative to iPhone
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 02 Sep 2007 04:43:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux alternative to iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| Since the N800 is open source, there are many third party applications which
| extend its usefulness and fun factor, such as:
|
| Pidgin - full-featured internet messaging client, with AIM, MSN, Yahoo and
| Jabber support
| Canola - media player with network streaming
| FBReader - e-book reader
| Claws Mail - full-featured email client
| Obscura Photo Manager
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/09/01/linux-alternative-to-iphone/

Another:

Motorola RAZR2 V8 Runs Linux.

http://www.xnoor.com/2007/09/01/motorola-razr2-v8-runs-linux/

Related:

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| As a media player it plays MP3's and other audio formats through surprisingly
| good sounding speakers for their size, or headphones. It plays MP4 and
| RealVideo videos, and youtube.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/wbays/entry/nokia_n800_internet_tablet

Review: Nokia N800 now with Skype

,----[ Quote ]
| While I enjoyed using the Nokia N800 prior to the firmware upgrade, once
| having Skype installed made the unit made the Nokia N800 an almost
| indispensable tool carry around. Having the ability to make phone calls
| anywhere in the world from any location that has wireless internet was neat.
| Furthermore with a SkypeIn plan you can easily receive phone calls from just
| about any place in the world that has wifi. The addition of having Skype made
| the Nokia N800 a near cellphone like device.
`----

http://lunapark6.com/nokia-n800-now-with-skype.html

First look: Skype for the Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| Not only was there an updated version of the Linux-based Internet Tablet OS
| and significantly-improved hardware, but Nokia also promised us a
| fully-functional Skype client for the N800. Nearly six months after the
| tablet's launch, the Skype client has finally arrived.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070711-first-look-skype-for-the-nokia-n800-internet-tablet.html

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| In contrast to the 770, Nokia really nailed it with the N800.
| Almost all of the shortcomings have been addressed, making the
| Internet Tablet an absolute pleasure to use. Is it a must-have
| device? Not really, but I sure enjoy having one.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/n800.ars

Nokia adds FM radio to N800 Internet tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| It's not often that a company ships a gizmo with an entire hardware
| feature unremarked upon and unsupported, then later turns it on free
| of charge - but that's what Nokia did with the new N800 Internet
| tablet. They just released a package which enables an FM radio
| tuner in the unit.
`----

http://technocrat.net/d/2007/2/7/14542

A hacker's-eye view of Nokia's N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| This detailed, hands-on review examines Nokia's Linux-based N800
| Internet Tablet first as a consumer electronics device, and then
| as a platform for open source software development. Reviewer
| Jerry Epplin infuses the review with crotchety humor and
| deeply technical insights.

Nokia's New N800 Internet Tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| In all, the N800 is a feature-packed and mostly easy-to-use device.
`----

http://www.cio-today.com/news/Nokia-s-New-N800-Internet-Tablet/story.xhtml?story_id=13300D2TH3BG

Reviewers converge on new Nokia Internet tablet

,----[ Quote ]
| The N800 shipped Jan. 6 without a peep -- let alone a press release
| -- from Nokia. Nonetheless, the device seems to be attracting more
| interest, at least from the fourth estate, than did the arguably
| more revolutionary 770 Internet tablet from which it evolved.

Nokia N800 Internet Tablet First Thoughts Review

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.tabletpcreview.com/default.asp?newsID=698