[News] [SOT] Authorities Fight Sharing of Data (But Get Caught Using Dirty Tricks)

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Authorities Fight Sharing of Data (But Get Caught Using Dirty Tricks)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2007 19:58:25 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Leaked e-mails reveal MediaDefender's antipiracy woes

,----[ Quote ]
| MediaDefender also tries to load corrupt data into unauthorized files. This
| would work on older protocols such as FastTrack/Kazaa, but the company had no
| answer for BitTorrent--the Michael Jordan of file-sharing tools, nearly
| impossible to defend against.

German music industry gets eDonkey nodes removed from the web

,----[ Quote ]
| The IPFI also obtained interim injunctions against server operators in July.
| Because eDonkey servers do not themselves offer files for sharing, the
| copyright owners bringing the action have based their argument on the legal
| construct of liability for impediment.
| According to IFPI spokesperson Stefan Michalk, these injunctions are indeed
| again based on liability for impediment. "Donkey Server No. 1" to "Donkey
| Server No. 6" have been taken off the web.

What about free media and Free software? It's interception of torrents that
worries the most. Tor is another.

TorrentSpy shuts doors to America

,----[ Quote ]
| But he eventually admitted that the MPAA case was a "catalyst" in the
| decision.

Anime Distributor Has No Legal Right to Threaten BitTorrent Users

,----[ Quote ]
| A company that tracked thousands of users sharing anime via BitTorrent has
| lost its legal battle to force an ISP to reveal its customer’s details.

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
| [...]
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.

File-sharing 'graveyard' still filling up

,----[ Quote ]
| Now a new battle is heating up. The search engine TorrentSpy is accused
| in a lawsuit filed last year by the Motion Picture Association of
| America (MPAA) of allegedly helping users locate pirated movies online.

ISPs face down Tories on file sharing

Studies: music industry overstating threat of P2P piracy

,----[ Quote ]
| Or perhaps it's not all that amazing. A more likely explanation is
| that the numbers aren't even right. As Canadian law professor Michael
| Geist showed a few weeks ago, claims about piracy rates can be wildly
| variable and downright fictional. High numbers are often used to
| support legal threats or calls for Congressional action, as in the
| MRT case. MRT has a lot to gain by overstating the threat of
| streamripping and, so far, has not showed its numbers. Both MRT
| and NPD agree, though, that P2P is hardly the music industry's
| biggest problem.

File sharing could threaten personal and national security

,----[ Quote ]
| A recent government report says that the old adage "buyer beware" now
| even applies to those who are not technically buying anything at all.
| Despite the reputation of "free" downloads, much of the illegal file
| sharing done on the internet comes at a steep price: personal and
| national security.

The European Parliament approves new, stricter anti-piracy directive

,----[ Quote ]