[News] Verizon Uses Lawyers and Shills to Fight Freedom of Choice, Openness

  • Subject: [News] Verizon Uses Lawyers and Shills to Fight Freedom of Choice, Openness
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:35:04 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Verizon sues FCC over open-access auction

,----[ Quote ]
| Media reform group Free Press, a supporter of the open-access rules, accused
| Verizon Wireless of sending "lawyers, FUD and money" in an attempt to
| overturn the FCC's decision.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070914/tc_infoworld/91833

Business as usual in Verizon then...

Google vs. Verizon: The 'open access' saga continues

,----[ Quote ]
| First with Net neutrality and now with so-called "open access" rules for
| forthcoming wireless networks, there seems to be no end to the discord
| between Google and Verizon.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9778508-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

Related:

Verizon to support the Linux desktop, but only if your rich...

,----[ Quote ]
| Verizon has been supporting the linux desktop for Red Hat for
| various applications for a while now. It wasn't until recently
| that with the help of some unpaid employees that they got it
| working for Ubuntu.
`----

http://www.treeninjas.com/?p=12

Thin clients in, PCs out at Verizon Wireless

,----[ Quote ]
| Sun's Sun Ray is unique among thin clients, many of which still use
| some kind of embedded Windows or Linux operating system, even though
| the applications are shifted to servers.
|
| [...]
|
| With about 5,000 Sun Ray terminals installed at three Western call
| centers, and a fourth in progress, Verizon has seen a 60% to 70%
| drop in desktop problems and a 30% decline in electrical use at
| each center.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2007/050407-thin-client-verizon.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Verizon Business Expands OS Support for Enterprises

,----[ Quote ]
| "Windows is our most deployed system, but Linux is our fastest-growing
| one..."
|
| [...]
|
| He also said that AIX and UX also have strong cross-platform
| compatibility with systems like Linux, and are well designed to
| handle applications requiring huge memory and scalability.

Verizon takes over Microsoft TV code

,----[ Quote ]