[News] Multiple Linux Distributions Not a Problem for Game Developers

  • Subject: [News] Multiple Linux Distributions Not a Problem for Game Developers
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 15 Sep 2007 12:37:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Linux Game Development Part 4

,----[ Quote ]
| The best thing you, as the developer, can do is make sure your game doesn’t
| depend on any distribution-specific stuff, try to conform to standards like
| the LSB, and make your program as compatible as possible.
|
| [...]
|
| Once you’ve released your first Linux game, you’ll know what you need to do
| to ensure compatibility in your future games. And you probably won’t
| encounter too many distribution-specific problems after that.
`----

http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/linuxprogramming4/default.asp

Recent:

New commercial Linux game slated by year end

,----[ Quote ]
| "Our decision to support Linux was based on it being the right thing to do,
| not some in-depth analysis of the business case. We want to play a part in
| getting more games on the platform because we think long-term that benefits
| both Linux gamers and the indie development community that Hothead is a part
| of."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119108

Eve Online for Mac and Linux operating systems

,----[ Quote ]
| Today CCP Games and TransGaming Partner announce to Bring EVE Online to new
| platforms, being Linux and Mac. By the end of this year it should be possible
| to play Eve on a Mac, finally!
| On linux it was already possible through Cedega or a good configured WINE,
| but now nothing extra will be needed.
`----

http://blog.amidala.be/?p=51

"Port Windows-based games to the Linux platform."

http://www.valvesoftware.com/job-SenSoftEngineer.html