Re: [News] DRM-free Movies Are Here

> ____/ Mark Kent on Friday 14 September 2007 09:07 : \____
>
>> [H]omer <spam@xxxxxxx> espoused:

>>> Uses digital watermarks, which looks set to be the new trend in
>>> commercial digital media. That's fine with me, as long as it works on
>>> GNU/Linux (like Headweb's service).
>>>
>>> Of course this is Sweden we're talking about (home to The Pirate Bay -
>>> bane of the RI/MP/AA's existence). There's nothing /illegal/ about
>>> Headweb's service, but you can bet that the media moguls will be
>>> flapping in the good ol' U.S. of A. over the prospect of losing
>>> subscription-based "rights" to extort money for the same content
>>> over and over ... and over again.
>>>
>>> Hehe.
>>>

>> I wonder if Ashley Highfield is watching this, and wondering how he will
>> continue to justify spending hundreds of millions on something he
>> doesn't actually own and never will, which is proving to be quite the
>> wrong thing to do anyway?
>
> Microsoft loves and needs DRM. It admitted this is true. The BBC is just a pawn
> in Microsoft's chessboard. And guess who is funding that pawn? It's like
> brushing up your electric chair before execution. Just watch how Windows
> devolves into more of a punishment-imposing machine every iteration.

When lock-in based businesses are heading into trouble, then they have
only one way of getting out of it, at least in the short-term, which is
to squeeze their existing customers harder and harder.  If Microsoft
were to get the British Library, the National Archives and the BBC all
nicely locked in, they would be able to squeeze the British Taxpayer for
decades to come, for larger and larger amounts, in order to feed the
voracious Redmond monster the cash it needs in order to survive.

By getting Governments to mandate the Microsoft tax, Microsoft knows
that the stability of cash supply will be so much the better, since
governments are notorious for the lack of speed with which they change
mistakes such as this one.  Businesses, on the contrary, will move as
soon as the case is nicely compelling, but Governments never wish to
admit any kind of error.

Microsoft's OOXML/ISO attacks are part of the same plan, to get
Governments to back them, as their business interests wane rapidly.
They managed to manipulate Massachusetts well indeed, even getting key
people sacked in order to pursue their taxation agenda.  Of course,
sometimes it backfires, and getting a school teacher in Russia into jail
was not the best approach, but it does show that they have zero concern
for people, their customer base, or the impact they have on society as a
whole.  They are without any kind of moral base.