[News] Debian's Windows Installer Fianlised, New Version of ReactOS Released

  • Subject: [News] Debian's Windows Installer Fianlised, New Version of ReactOS Released
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 23:08:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Debian win32-loader Goes Official

,----[ Quote ]
| After a long process of review and polishing, the win32 loader from
| goodbye-microsoft.com has finally made its way to official Debian CDs.
`----

http://linux.slashdot.org/linux/07/09/13/1427241.shtml

Installing with the Debian-Installer

ReactOS 0.3.3 Released!

,----[ Quote ]
| Summing up most important changes for this release:
|
|     * Kernel improvements bringing many areas closer to NT 5.2
|     * Improved hardware support
|     * Stability increase in many core modules, especially win32
`----

http://www.reactos.org/en/news_page_37.html

Related:

Grandpa Gets a Dell with Ubuntu Linux Preinstalled

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm very happy with my computer. I feel the price was reasonable, and the
| service was good. In fact, Dell appears to have gone to the "Scotty school of
| engineering" -- project how long you expect a project to take, then double
| the time. Then, when you come in under that time, you look like a whiz.

Making My Grandparents Leet Linux Users - Part 1

,----[ Quote ]
| It was time for a new computer for my Grandparents. Their ancient Windows 98
| PC had become so slow that it was unusable. The replacement, an inexpensive
| Acer PC, came with Windows Vista preinstalled. It was up to me to set up the
| new computer and support it. So I decided to wipe out Vista with a Debian 4
| base install and set up an easy to use environment for my Grandparents. In
| this multi-part series I will tell you about how I did it, starting with my
| reasons for choosing Linux over Vista.
`----

http://tomdryer.com/blog/index.php/2007/08/17/making-my-grandparents-leet-linux-users-part-1/

ReactOS 0.3.1 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| It would be perhaps important to start by saying what ReactOS -isn't-.
| It is not another wrapper built on Linux, like WINE. It does not
| attempt or plan to compete with WINE; in fact, the user-mode part of
| ReactOS is almost entirely WINE-based and our two teams have close
| ties. ReactOS is also not "yet another OS". It does not attempt to be
| a third player, like SkyOS or any other alternative OS out there.
| People are not meant to uninstall Linux and use ReactOS instead;
| ReactOS is a replacement for Windows users. As such, this has
| created a lot of misunderstanding from both sides. Linux users
| often wonder why create dilution in the free OS space by creating
| a Windows-alike OS; wouldn't that keep some people from switching
| to Mac/Linux? Windows developers, on the other hand, don't
| understand the need to reinvent the wheel by an OS that doesn't
| have the high quality and support that Windows has.
`----

http://www.whenpenguinsattack.com/2007/03/11/reactos-031-released/

ReactOS Interviews - Alex Ionescu

,----[ Snippet ]
| I think once those components work, and with Wine's libraries that seem
| to be pretty well done since they can run a lot of applications under
| Linux, it'll be up to GUI subsystem (win32k.sys) to support
| user-mode applications.
`----

http://www.reactos.org/en/interview_2.html

Peeking in the Windows of ReactOS 0.3.1