Re: [News] Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:25:41 -0400, bob wrote:

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:21:08 +0000 (UTC), Singer wrote:
>
>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>>
>>> Best Linux Desktop Distribution for Home Users
>>
>> So have we hit 1000 different distributions of Linux yet? Talk about
>> mass confusion.
>
> Why would you find freedom of choice confusing?

Well, sometimes freedom is confusing when the adundance overwhelms you,
but...

>> You guys actually need web pages to explain other web pages which point
>> to still more web pages in order to find a Linux distribution that
>> actually works.

...still there are only a few distributions that hold the lion share of
the market (odd word here, usually it's a non-profit market). People new
to Linux usually choose a well-known and more user-friendly distribution
that someone more experienced recommends them (nowadays e.g. Ubuntu,
Fedora, SUSE).

Pretty similar to other areas in human activity: "regular" people mostly
choose popular, trusted products, while the more advanced/adventurous
guys fiddle with specialized and more experimental stuff. So what's the
point, Singer?

Surely excessive fragmentation (which leads to the collapse of the whole
system, e.g. a country) is a danger brought by freedom, but so far the
Linux world has not reached this state. We here like freedom and choice.
New distributions are usually created by people wanting to do something
new their way, not due to splits in already existing distros. That's
creativity. What's wrong with that?

--
Krzysztof Lubanski