Re: [News] Linux Distros Ranked, Linux Swapoff Performance Measured

In comp.os.linux.advocacy, Singer
<singer42@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
 wrote
on Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:44:37 +0000 (UTC)
<fc6d54$5sr$1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> BearItAll <spam@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
>
>> Singer wrote:
>>
>>> Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in

>>> So have we hit 1000 different distributions of Linux yet?
>>> Talk about mass confusion.
>>> You guys actually need web pages to explain other web pages which
>>> point to still more web pages in order to find a Linux distribution
>>> that actually works.
>>

>> It is a good job that we do have a lot of distributions, had we had
>> few MS would have had less targets for their 'Get rid of f'ing Linux'
>> campaign.
>>
>> The way it stands now though MS don't have a target, they can try to
>> scupper Novell and Linspire, but they haven't damaged Linux.
>
> Microsoft doesn't have to damage Linux because the Linux advocates are
> damaging Linux quite well all by themselves.
> This group for example does far more harm than good for Linux.
>
> As for 1000's of Linux distributions, Microsoft is laughing all the way
> to the bank because Linux is so fragmented and getting worse by the day
> that all Microsoft has to do is sit back and watch the confusion.

Absolutely!  While Microsoft Windows Vista is being
enthusiastically reviewed by all and sundry, and copies
are being snapped up faster than one can say "molasses
in January during a driving snowstorm with a power outage
and a ghost in the attic that appears to be singing some
variant of New Orleans Jazz or perhaps rock opera while
banging on the window panes scaring the <rest snipped
for brevity>"...

> In fact I think there is even a Linux distribution that you can use to
> find the best distribution for your needs.
> Kind of like an erector set without any instructions.
>
> You guys call it choice.
> Most people call it a clusterfsck.

You're right.  We should implement a BSOD just to make it
more homey.  Oh, wait, we already have.

http://www.jwz.org/xscreensaver/screenshots/
(scroll down to BSOD)

#191, ewill3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Useless C++ Programming Idea #110309238:
item * f(item *p) { if(p = NULL) return new item; else return p; }