Re: [News] OEMs Will Transform State of Wireless Support in Linux

Peter Köhlmann <peter.koehlmann@xxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Mark Kent wrote:

>>> The Open Source Solution to Solving Linux Wi-Fi Problem
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>
>>> http://www.madpenguin.org/cms/?m=show&id=8012
>>>

>> As I keep saying, put the firmware on the chip, and the open-source
>> driver in the kernel, and all will be well.
>>

> And as you have been repeatedly been told, this leads to different packages
> for different countries. Nothing will be well

The firmware on the chip has no more idea where it is than the
driver does.  There is no GPS on the chip.  The safest place to put
geographically-sensitive settings would be in the firmware on the chip,
but even then, people like me travel all over the world with equipment
anyway.

Your assertion is deeply flawed.